Help!! High levels of CH and CYA, Iron and Copper

Jul 9, 2012
Perris, Ca.
Hi all, I'm still relatively new to pool care. :oops: I have a purple sediment (sand like in texture) on the steps and bottom of my pool, I took a water sample to my local pool store for testing (yesterday. 7-8-12) they said I have iron (.15) and copper (1) in the water and recommended Metal free. I added it just as they told me and took another water sample back today (7-9-12) with the results being even higher than yesterday, Iron .2 and Copper 2. And then they told me today that my CH level is 940 and my CYA is 200. Yesterday my CH tested at 260 and the CYA was 120. They recommended that I drain my pool and refill it and to start all over again because my water is old. My pool is 6 years old and I've never drained it. Am I getting correct information from the pool store? How do the levels jump that dramatically? And finally, should I drain my pool and start over?

Other test results

FC 0 (I have not added chlorine because I heard that it can cause staining if there is metals in your pool)
TC 0
TA 70
pH 7.0

Thank you for any and all help!
Mary

I really don't know how the copper or iron got in the pool, but i'm thinking its because we run the pool heater every day or from my dogs going in and out of it all day and bringing a never ending supply of dirt with them. And no, we are on Municipal water.

All in all, you have too many issues not to drain your pool. Municipal water should contain none of the iron or copper you currently have so get yourself off to a fresh start.

Do several drain/refills so you don't completely empty the pool. Ask back if you don't understand how.

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.....that'll get you off to a good start.

Get your self a test kit (Taylor K-2006 or TFTestkits TF-100) that will test all the parameters you need and will allow you to manage your own pool water.

How all that stuff got in your pool is not as important as getting it all out and managing your water so it doesn't get back in.

EDIT: Just saw your post.

1. Drain about 1 foot of your water, stop and refill. Once refilled, repeat this process. It'll take about 5 or so cycles to get almost all new fresh water

2. Stick a siphon hose or submersible pump down at the deep end of the pool and start withdrawing water. Simultaneously, add fill water from the shallow opposite end of the pool.....balancing both flows so the water level never changes.

You will have good pool water when your iron content is .2ppm or less and your CYA is 50ppm or less.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.