Portlandia Swims... Crowns New Queen

frogabog

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2010
Portland, Oregon
BREAKING NEWS

Oregon Swimming Update - Frogabog claims Queen of The Pool titleship...

Status - uncovered pool since last of the leaves fell in November 2011. Portland only got above 50 degrees a couple times till sometime mid April. Pool stayed crystal clear all winter. A bottle of bleach went in during a few days of sun in March, one in April, May, and finally sometime about mid June it started getting fed 1/3 bottle of bleach once a week. Swirling manually, brushing and 3 vacuuming events was the full extent of pool care maintenance.

It wasn't until late June that a hokey style cartridge filter was added over the side just to keep the water moving. Still, no one swam. It was HARDLY 55 degrees any given day but there were sun breaks now and again designed purely to make life difficult for Frogabog and force her to step up the bleach schedule to once a week.

Alas, the Fourth of July proved to increase temperatures enough to burn off the white sky that had been present since October 2011 and show through this weird blue vastness above. Which included a curious, brilliantly burning yellow disk of fire. We presume that hot thing up there is the great "Sol", as we've heard it referred to by the Others. The tadpoles scrambled for the SPF 50 and did their civil duty to spread warnings to the masses about possible vitamin D poisoning.

All slopped up with the spf... the tadpoles decided it was ok to try swimming, and amazingly enough the water was a balmy 78 degrees. FrogaMama says hey, wait... let me test first...

Frogabog's first 2012 Test Results:

FC = 4.5ppm
CC = <.5ppm
pH = 7.2
TA = 65
CH = negligible (no CH here at all, no reason to test it)
CYA - <20ppm (expected - lotta rain fell in)

As such, with these untouched, other than some bleach all winter numbers, Frogabog promptly claimed "Queen of The Pool" titleship, performed a jig for the tadpoles, and texted her cousin bragging about her royal status.

Frogabog's husband acquiesced, not even grudgingly...

:thequeen: "Yes, you are Queen of The Pool" :thequeen:

HA!

Additionally, the FrogaFilter is now up and running with sand and everything. Still running a cartridge filter for the skimmer but that's because skimming should occur 100% of the time, due to overhanging plum trees.

LOL, thanks...

FrogaMama shoulda spf'd while hooking up the SWG and sand filter today. The great ball of fire in the sky attacked and gave this frog some lobster skin... ouch!

I knew there was a reason for white skies. White skies provide months of chlorine protection plus "alabaster skin" (that's the way they describe "fish belly white" in novels btw...).

You are the frogmama!! I am so jealous!! It is so hot here and the sun is out.

I am shocking regularly and have 2 chlorine tab floaters that have 3 3" tabs in them. I went out yesterday and found the water looked like it had a slight greenish tint so shocked accordingly.

I need you to wave your wand over our pool!!! :thequeen:

Bleach saved me from the tabs evil witchcraft. Tabs came out of the pool 3 seasons ago and have only been back in once for vacation. They whacked out my pH and raised CYA 10ppm. Evil witchcraft I tell you!

Seriously though, it's all about BBB (well, and clouds... I have a unique situation here with no sun most the year, clouds do filter the uv rays that destroy chlorine). During the swimming season I faithfully dose my pool every night with bleach, maintain proper pH and alkalinity, and test as necessary with a FAS-DPD test kit. I know that every day, I lose 3-4ppm if it's sunny and they swim. So, every night the pool gets 4ppm of bleach. It takes 3 minutes. I enjoy doing it. I'm not sure I'm gonna like this SWG. I really enjoyed watching the bleach mix with the water after dark...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.