Pool placement in the yard

Jul 6, 2012
Michigan
We are getting a 15 x 30 Lomart that is 12 years old. We plan on having a deep end dug for it. I want the pool to be off to the side of the yard, near the house. I also want to place it in a spot that gets a lot of sun. I also want good sun for a solar panel. http://www.doheny.com/poolsupplies/Above-Ground-Pool-Solar-Heating-System-1995.html?p=1

The photo below shows where I originally wanted the pool to go (marked with caution tape). We will have to take out the garden. After watching the sun today, I think it would be better to move the pool to the right (east) about 6'. Of course that tree is in the way, but it's probably going to have to come out no matter what... it would just be too close to the pool anyhow??? The tree is not doing well, probably has wilt. We were going to try to save it but now we're getting the pool. I'm thinking we could cut the tree down and have someone out with a stump grinder. Then when the pool is installed we can have the deep end put in on the other end of the pool (the west side near the house).

Does this sound like a good plan?

If we keep the pool where it's already roped off, and if we don't cut down the tree... do you think the tree is too close to the pool and do you think the roots will be a problem?

Thank you!

Kim

Attachments

• pool_placement.jpg
    pool_placement.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 349
Black and white pipe? Are you referring to the well on the right side of the photo? That's our well. The white house is our neighbors house.

When I called the township they said they are not picky about placement but that they are really picky about safety. We'll see when they come out!

If it is really close to the property line, you may want to make sure that the neighbors are not going to cause you problems/grieve about it being "too close" to them. What about fence placement -- is it still doable if it is close to the property line?

We had an old house that set empty for several years and was very run down next to us. Someone had stripped most of the wiring etc. out of it. When we set our pool up and the city checked it they didn't see a problem either with the placement. No mention of having to worry about.

To make a long story short the house sold. First thing out of the neighbors mouth when they started moving in (during the summer of 2010) was a long whoop!! Hey we got us a pool!! I happened to be out and told them that the pool didn't belong to their property but to us. They were bold enough to ask if they could use it. They didn't look like they were exactly what we wanted swimming in it since we have grandkids in it alot. I politely told them no. Then they commented to each they didn't know what they were going to do "to get clean since they didn't have a bathtub/shower." Fortunately they didn't have any kids, just a gang of young adults that came and went for over a year. They lived in that house with most of the windows out, no heat -- except for a barrel stove hooked to a crumbling chimney, no tub/shower, and for the last few months utilities were all shut off but they stayed.

No fun. Fortunately the city stepped in when they moved out and condemned the house and it is no longer standing and so isn't a worry any longer and the lot is not big enough to build anything on -- even a garage.

I just went out with a tape measure... looks to be around 8' in from the property line. We have older people (60's) on both sides of us. I don't think anyone will complain. If we don't put it there, I'm not sure where it will go... 3 big trees on the other side. Hill towards the back... and gosh I don't want it right in the middle!

Here is an arial view of our property. Ignore the round patch of dead grass... we left a tent up too long there so we had put down grass seed and roped it off from the kids/dogs!

Another thing I just thought of, if we have it over on the North side, I can move the dogs electric fence a little bit to keep them away from the pool.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_02 Jul. 08 21.53.gif
    ScreenHunter_02 Jul. 08 21.53.gif
    120.2 KB · Views: 316
Me,again would rather have on the back of the house...Out of view..But, my 2 cent's doesn't count..Wow,never would have thought that was a well..Around here we us a well cap to cover up all piping coming out of ground.Surprised ya don't have any freezing of those lines coming out of ground.

Hey we have it made now the house is gone!! Was torn down this spring. No more comings and goings and strange noises in the middle of the night!! I never knew if they used it at night and to be honest don't want to know cause I probably couldn't get in it if I knew. :grrrr:

We are hoping the lot will go for back taxes and if so guess who try to buy it? :wink:

Why not set it at the back of house.Look's like a patio coming out there.where there is a round area.Maybe where the other pool was at..I just don't like having one on side of house..If I was a neighbor I would be highly p-o'd."noise"..Sorry,again my 2 cent's doesn't count.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I really don't want the pool in the center of the yard. And we think that there is conduit underground going from the house to the shed. I don't think we can pool a pool over that? Especially if we want a deep end?

The only other place would be all the way in the back but it's a raised up hill. If any part of the pool is shorter than 48" (it's a 48") then we would have to fence the yard and can't afford to do that. Or continue that pool fencing all the way around which would make it impossible to clean the pool.

It would really stink in the back... that is where our fire pit is. Lots of good times back there!

poolgranny said:
Unfortunately some of don't have enough space in the backyard to accomplish putting a pool there. :(

This is my problem too! I would love so much to be able to view my pool from a window in the house or step off my porch to be at the pool but I can't. The only thing I can do is put it beside the garage and that makes it unviewable for me unless I'm right there by the pool. I don't like it but I will have to deal with it!

As for the tree, if that's where you are putting it, I'd get rid of it but that's just me. I don't want trees dropping leaves and pollen in my pool. BTDT with a few at the last house I occupied.

I talked with my husband about all of this. He doesn't care what we have to do... cut down trees or whatnot. He's super excited about getting the pool! Yay! I guess I'm just disappointed that it can't go exactly where I want it. I'll get over it. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.