How often will I add bleach for day-to-day maintenance?

AaronGo

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 8, 2011
Houston, Texas
I am trying to set expectations with our new pool. How often do you all add bleach to maintain proper CL levels? From reading posts, it seems like this is a daily or at least every-other-day process, which is not a big deal of course. Also, I am more curious about this as it relates to the summer months. I am in Houston, TX, pool specs are in my sig.

Also how often do you perform TF-100 (or similar) tests? Do you only use a TF-100-style kit for testing or do you supplement that with strips and then perform a TF-100 test if the strip results look suspect?

With a new pool, I want to make sure I do everything possible to prevent problems that are within my control. If that means daily testing and adding bleach daily (among other things), then that's what I'll do.

Thanks in advance for the info!

My $0.02 based on my experience in blue below.

AaronGo said:
I am trying to set expectations with our new pool. How often do you all add bleach to maintain proper CL levels? From reading posts, it seems like this is a daily or at least every-other-day process, which is not a big deal of course. Also, I am more curious about this as it relates to the summer months. I am in Houston, TX, pool specs are in my sig. You're about right. Every day to every other day. If we're going for 3 or 4, I can raise the FC above the top of the normal range, put on the solar blanket, or both, and it's fine when we come back.

Also how often do you perform TF-100 (or similar) tests? Do you only use a TF-100-style kit for testing or do you supplement that with strips and then perform a TF-100 test if the strip results look suspect? See above. My suggestion is to test every day until you get to learn how your pool behaves based on temperature and bather load. Once you get a good feel, you can go less often. That said, the only time I test less than once a day is when I'm travelling for work. If I'm home, I test. As for strips, I threw mine out.

With a new pool, I want to make sure I do everything possible to prevent problems that are within my control. If that means daily testing and adding bleach daily (among other things), then that's what I'll do.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Test and adjust FC and ph daily using the k-1000 kit

Preform Fas/Dpd anytime you're worried at all about chlorine levels (storm, party's, sudden drop in FC)

Test TA weekly

Test cya and ch monthly or anytime you add fresh fill water.

You'll learn your pools habits as you test. For me.....I've maybe tested 3 times ever for ch, but do the fas/dpd test often.

Thanks for the feedback. I can see why you threw the test strips out. I have used them a few times and I can't really tell what color they have changed to. I thought it was perhaps that particular brand, but that seems to be a constant theme on this site. Figured I'd ask to be safe.

There is definitely a learning curve and I expect to better understand what our pool needs and how often after a few weeks, so I will plan on doing daily tests with the TF-100 until I truly understand its behavior. I am hoping the test kit arrives in a few days, I ordered it on Sat.

Leebo said:
Test and adjust FC and ph daily using the k-1000 kit

Preform Fas/Dpd anytime you're worried at all about chlorine levels (storm, party's, sudden drop in FC)

Test TA weekly

Test cya and ch monthly or anytime you add fresh fill water.

Cool, I will set up a schedule for this. I read that it's best to do the test around the same time if possible, with a slight advantage to testing in the evening.

I am one of those "spreadsheet" types, so I plan on keeping a log of the results so I can understand our pool. It's an ecosystem after all, so it's good to know how it reacts to certain variables and stimuli.

Part of me is stressing a little about being one of the unfortunate ones whose pool gets cloudy or worse, so I really want to maintain the pool we have now (which is a clear, clean pool). I suppose it's natural feeling for a new pool owner.

It only seems like a lot at first, after a couple dozen tests you'll be a pro, after a few dozen you'll have it memorized. After while you'll start to know what "normal" is for your pool and you'll probably be able to skip to testing FC and Ph every other day (under normal circumstances).

I picked up a speed stir last year and now I do the FC and Ph at the same time using 2 separate test tubes, the whole thing takes about 5 minutes.

I missed the fact your pool is a plaster pool. At first I would suggest testing the CH MUCH more often, maybe even as often as every other day.

AaronGo said:
Cool, I will set up a schedule for this. I read that it's best to do the test around the same time if possible, with a slight advantage to testing in the evening.

I am one of those "spreadsheet" types, so I plan on keeping a log of the results so I can understand our pool. It's an ecosystem after all, so it's good to know how it reacts to certain variables and stimuli.

Part of me is stressing a little about being one of the unfortunate ones whose pool gets cloudy or worse, so I really want to maintain the pool we have now (which is a clear, clean pool). I suppose it's natural feeling for a new pool owner.

Sounds like your there just need that little push of encouragement! I'm one of those spreadsheet guys too! :-D so your not alone. I test every night at the same time enter my data into my spreadsheet add my usual amount of chlorine and done! 5-10 min max. As all here have said after a few tests you'll have it mastered and wont even think twice about doing it.

The best part is getting to the point of realizing by the type of day, weather, sun, bather load...etc you can pretty much predict what chemicals and the amounts you will need to add. ****Disclaimer....This doesn't mean blindly throw in chemicals please still test and use pool calculator don't use the Dion Warwick method***

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.