Pool Open due to heat - having trouble with PH/TA

mrauch

May 13, 2011
Niles, MI
Hey all. This has been a weird summer in SW Michigan as we have seen a massive amount of heat. So with that, I have been keeping the pool (sitting around 90-92 degrees) open 24 hrs a day. Pool is 18x36 vinyl pool (I always use 30k gallons as basis) and we usually cover when not in use with auto-cover to protect it from Sun, etc.

Anyway to the problem - I have been running into an extremely high PH/TA the later part of June and so far in July, which I haven't really seen before.

Last 3 tests are (FC on two of tests were higher because it was after 15 people were in the pool and I added chlorine to it that morning...FC of 3 was before swim and 9 was next day after addition)

FC 9 3 9
CC 1 .5 0
TC 10 3.5 9
PH 7.5 7.8 8.0
TA 180 200 180
CH 240 240 240
CYA 40 40 40

I hit it with 60oz of Muratic Acid but the PH isn't trending down. I know the TA is high do I just continue hitting with Muratic Acid until both come down to desired results?

Thanks

Mick

Hey Mick

You are on the right track with the muriatic acid. As you continue to add MA, your TA should come down. This will also help keep your pH down (high TA can cause pH to fluctuate)

OK...have hit it with enough Muratic acid that the PH and TA have come down...however something very odd happened over the last two days...either my test strips are bad or my pool decided to dispose of all of the CYAl? I will test it with my TF100 tonight but I found this really odd. This year has been a nightmare keeping this pool consistent.

One question - is there any way that something could be in the holding area for my cover...we have an automatic cover that rolls up under the diving board??? I don't think that this would explain the CYA drop but at this point I'm completely lost as to what is happening in this pool.

Thanks

Mick

Richard320 said:
Wait.... you own a TF100 but you're still using test strips???? :hammer:

No I don't use the test strips...my wife uses them while I'm at work ("because she doesn't want to mess with chemicals") and told me the results.

I did a test the next day and my TA is still high but everything else seems to be ok.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.