Blue Liner has been de-colored by Chlorine

Jun 14, 2012
Hi,
all.I must say this forum has some interesting posts and I have also founf a couple of nice hints for myself. Maybe someday I'll be able to help a newbie :).

Anyway I stuffed up the liner. Stupidly I put in slow sloving chlorine. The pool was cloudy so I didn't see it deposit on the floor. Bottom line is that when I finnally got the water crystal clear I saw the damage.

The chlorine has taken out the color of the liner and has even eaten out part of it !! Now I have a large white stain on the bottom. Large I mean about 2m X 1m white stain.

Question is.....can I do something about it without replacing the Liner. I was thinking of solutions like:

1) Paint the area. I've seen paint for pool ( I think it usually goes con cement pool and spa's)
2) May I can put a large patch on it. Something along the lines of a repair kit only very bug.
3)Stickers? Maybe something I can apply on the liner.
4)home made solution. Buy a piece of liner. Cut it out .Put in on the liner and glue it with an appropriate glue.

Any Ideas are welcome.

Thanks
Carmelo

The skine is clear.behind the printed areas. I had damage like what you described. I left it foe while but in the end, I had to replace my liner. I had a large white alligatored area where a chlorine puck had fallen in my Green mess of a pond.

According the almost English (mostly French-lish) version of the website, they can be used on ABG pools. The site I was at did not sell them. I did a real fast search for dealers and I could not find one but several blogs chatting them up. I didn't look to hard. I did like the ones at the first site. I think I even saw on TV a pool that had one of them in the pool. I think it would look great in the center of my round pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a Hayward Perflex DE filter. It is similar to this one, but larger. Pardon me if I am overly "simple" but I don't assume you know what I mean this way.

Filter-Perflex-Above-Ground-Systems_1.othr.jpg

I chose this image as you can see the pump (black on the right) and filter body (putty colored with the black cover on the left). The suction line from the pool is attached to the threaded section on the right, just below the clear strainer lid. The water enters the strainer basket and then the pump's impeller behind it and then out to the filter via the union between the pump and filter. This means I do not have any hoses or long pipes between the pump and filter. It is less than six inches long. The water is then filtered through the fingers shown below (this one is dirty). The fingers are part of the head assembly of the filter and point down. They are covered by the DE media (a white powder-like substance) when the filter is running. The large black part of the filter is a cover I normally remove while I am cleaning. Mine is rounder than these so it tends to roll over like a turtle on its shell.

Hayward_filter_fingers.jpg

The filtered water exits the filter and returns to the pool via a fitting and hose at the black circle near the top of the filter pictured above. The filter can have a backwash valve and pipe/hose added at the bottom left of this filter, just above the black base.

When the filter gets dirty from filtering the junk from the water, the pressures rise and the water flow decreases. When the DE gets so dirty I cannot run it more than 30-90 minutes without the pressure rising too much, I change the DE. I could use the backwash valve and "wash" the DE media out of the filter body and down the backwash hose. The challenge is, for me, I don't have a good place to run the backwash too. I could dump it on a lawn if I don't mind the DE on the ground, the DE can be considered a hazard in certain circumstances or I could wash is down the sewer... but it is too far from my pool to a good place to do that AND only 80% of the media washes out so the filter is always 20% dirty.

So... what I do is I take all the hose off the pump and filter (two hose clamps and two minutes of work) and I unscrew the filter from the pump via the union between the, I then let the DE settle to the bottom of the filter body. While it is settling, I take the head off the filter and wash the DE and junk off the finger so it look like this when clean.

cleanfingers-complete.jpg

I then pour off the water from the top 2/3 of the filter body and dump the remaining dirty dirty DE into my green waste garbage can for composting. I wash all of the filter parts, rebuilt the filter, connect the hoses up and add the DE and I know I have a 100% clean filter. It takes me less time to do this than to hook up a backwash hose and do the 80% effective backwash, and clean up from the backwash and any resulting mess.

Sorry for the long answer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.