Totally screwed up by crystal clear pool!

Aug 12, 2011
Augusta, Kansas
The pool was beautiful untill last week......then we made some hoops for the kids to swim through. We didn't notice until too late (say an hour or so) that the hoops that had had some silicone put in them for waterrpoofing were leaching silicone into the pool (so proud of my son for noticing and pulling them out of the pool!).

The water has a slight haze to it. Not bad cloudy but not the beautiful that it had been all summer.

I shocked the pool and kept the FC level at 14 for a few days. My CC never moved.

I put a sock (with an knee high inside it) over the outflow and I've been running the filter non-shop since and have backwashed once.

Is it just going to take time? Geez - I'm such an idot! :hammer:

First, I doubt the Silicone oil has anything to do with your cloudiness. Silicone oil is inert and you did not get much in there compared to your water volume. Cloudiness suggests a need to shock the pool.

DianeF1 said:
I shocked the pool and kept the FC level at 14 for a few days. My CC never moved.
Did you pass the OCLT? What is your cya level?

Silicone oil can come in many varieties and typical Silicone oils are difficult to clean and are insoluble in water. With that said, many on here (including myself) use silicone grease/lubes on our gaskets in our pools and it is also found in some sunscreens. Silicone oil is not toxic and may float to the surface and form a slick (it is typically slightly less dense than water, although and can be formulated to be a many different densities...did those hoops sink, float, or hover in the water?) that typically will not be caught by your filter. In my experience, Chlorine will do nothing to typical silicone oil. Bottom line, I would not worry about the small quantities you are talking about and it should have nothing to do with your cloudiness. Lake Bama said, if you find you have floating "oils" then a scumbag or scumball should remove them.

The hoops had sand in them so they were down in the water for the kids to swim through. Ethan saw "a white cloud" coming out of them so he put them out of the pool.

Yes I passed the OCLT - in fact I kept FC at 15 for three days - busy weekend last week so no one swam and I kept dumping in the bleach. CC never went beyond .5. Last week I let the FC go back down to 7 and last night lowered the SWG again so it should be back to 5 soon.

CYA is 80.
pH is 7.8

For a cya of 80, poolcalculator give me a FC shock value of 21 ppm. I would lower the ph down to 7.2-7.4 using muriatic acid (assuming you are below 10 ppm FC right now), then I would raise it up to 21 ppm tonight and rerun the OCLT.

I've been lowering my pH and then it's back up again since our fill water is super high and we've been having to fill - nothing like temps in the 100s with blasting winds to suck the water out of a pool. We got a few inches of rain this weekend so I will retest after work to see where it is.

Will head to 21 ppm tonight and od the OCLT!

Thank you!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.