Is the 2650gph sand filter going to be overkill?

Jun 2, 2012
15' x 42" Intex metal frame here. The included 1000 gph cartridge pump is completely inadequate, so it's time to upgrade.

Is the 2650gph sand filter going to be overkill? Or should I just get the 1500gph sand unit? Is one of these easier to install than the other? Do these pumps include shutoff valves? Do they include adapters to use the existing hoses, strainer, and return?

I believe that the 1500 will hook right up. The 2650 is designed for 1.5" lines and you can either use 1.25 to 1.5 adapters or cut your pool and install bigger fittings. If you use the adapters it will reduce the efficiency of the filter. The 1500 is probably the best size for your pool but everyone here will say bigger is better.

All the Intex owners I have noticed have indicated the 2650 is much better than the 1600. Some people buy "regular" AG pumps and filters and either cut in new holes or use adapters. They consider it the first step in moving towards a more permanent pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.