Alkalinity Adjuster(?) plus The Liquidator plus pH Adjuster

Sabot

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 2, 2007
Austin, TX
As some know, I am a big fan of BBB and the HASA lineup. Would the 4-gal size tank work to inject as needed Baking Soda? Any issues with doing another "Y" connecter on the chlorine line above acid line to feed the baking soda solution? I am wondering what the strength in the Alkalinity Adjuster tank would need be? Solution strength does not appear to be a strict rule on the Liquidator or pH Adjuster but both use solutions which are say in solid states on the bottom for a period of time. Wonder how long Baking Soda would stay in a solid state on the bottom? Thoughts?

Would it hurt anything for me to purchase another pH Adjuster tank and test? (besides the wife beating me with the tank that is... ;) )

Here is my custom drawing of the concept:
AlkalinityAdjuster-TheLiquidator-pH.jpg

I agree with waterbear. If you focus on adjusting your pool water parameters to minimize the addition of acid, then the drop in TA over time will be slow only requiring infrequent addition of baking soda. Also, unlike the chlorine and acid liquids that are denser than water and slowly get mixed with the pool water, bicarbonate dissolves in water and is not a liquid so the same principle cannot be used for metering it out. You'd instead have to prepare high TA water and use a peristaltic pump; otherwise, The Liquidator type of approach would have very uneven dosing as it would be initially high and then get lower as the water in the tank got diluted (and scale might form when the high TA water meets the already saturated intake water).

Let's take a scenario where the pH rose from 7.5 to 7.8 due to carbon dioxide outgassing and required 12 fluid ounces of Muriatic Acid per 10,000 gallons to compensate. The TA would drop by about 5 ppm. So that should give some idea of the rate of TA drop. If you've lowered your TA level and set a higher pH target and possibly are using Borates, then your acid usage should be such that TA adjustment may only be needed once a month.

Richard

Thanks gents, your opinions are warmly received and valued.

For the sake of the discussion, what if I installed the meter valve & flow on the suction side of the tank? TA is not a daily consumption item but my thought process is to maintain as consistent as possible level of chlorine, acid and baking soda in the pool. Just looking at various methods.

As always, thank you for taking time to review and respond!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.