Well water in above ground pool!

Jul 8, 2012
Hi,
I have a question about adding sequestrant to a KD pool that we just set up last week. Here's my story so far: we bought a used KD pool on Craigslist and filled it up last week (it took four days because our well is not awesome), once it was full I took a water sample in to the local pool store to have it tested. We brought home stabilizer, chlorine tablets, muriatic acid(ph was high), shock and test strips. I put the stabilizer and tablets in right away and then added the acid the next day. The next night I added the shock. The next morning the pool was greenish yellow and the chlorine tested super high but the other values looked okay. Then the pool turned brown. I called the pool store and they told me I needed to add a sequestrant because of metals in our water. I bought two $20 bottles of ez clor metal magnet and added it. The next morning it was beautiful, over the next few days it got better and stains that the browning had caused even faded(mostly) from the liner. The chlorine was down to ideal levels yesterday morning. Yesterday afternoon we had a birthday party and there were about 15 kids swimming for hours, it was great! This morning the chlorine tested at zero. I probably need to shock it, it has been five days since I shocked it the first time. Do I need to add the metal magnet stuff again before I do? The bottle is confusing, the directions say during the swimming season a weekly maintenance dose should be added and then in the next paragraph it says a monthly maintenance dose of half a bottle(16 oz) should be added. This will get very expensive if I have to add a half bottle every week! Should I add a half bottle and a full pound of shock every week? Thanks!

Tell us all you know about your pool and equip (Size, model, type, etc).

As Flyweed said, Read pool school a bunch of times. You'll soon learn that shocking is unnecessary if you keep your FC where it should be all the time.

As for the sequestrant, you'll have to add the weekly maintenance dose.

Okay, it's a 20 foot round KD pool. The filter was upgraded to a Hayward filter. The pool is in full sun most of yhr day. I think it holds about 8500 gallons of water. I will read the pool school and hopefully that will help. I have one chlorine tablet in my floater thing, maybe I need more? Since my chlorine is now nonexistent I probably need to shock it though I guess. Thanks!

Since my chlorine is now nonexistent I probably need to shock it though I guess.
Although that may bring the metal out of sequester again.

It's water under the bridge now for you, but I encourage everyone to stay away from well water......It costs a lot more in the long run than having good water trucked in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.