Goldline Solar Controller ?

Jun 24, 2012
I am getting ready to purchase a goldline solar controller for my agp. I am not sure which model I need, because here is what I am trying to accomplish and my questions:

I want the controller to turn on the filter pump and send water to the solar panels whenever the sun is available (assuming I am below my desired temp).

I keep the pool covered with a track cover so, I really do not need the filter to run very much when I am not using the pool. Therefore is it possible to not even need the 3 way valve with actuator? Bc basically i think the filter will get enough run time just trying to reach the desired temp as I am in the north east mountains and it gets kind of cool in the evenings.

So, will this basic model work for me Hayward-Goldline GL-235 Model GLC-2P-A.

And by work for me, what I mean is, will the solar controller kick on and start the filter pump each time the sensors call for it? For example its a hot day and sun is shining and my pool is below desired temp, will the solar controller kick on the filter/pump automatically and begin circulating water through the panels. Then will it kick off filter / pump automatically when either the temp is reached or the sensors shut it down bc the sun has went away?

I had that controlled at my last house. All the solar controls do is turn a valve when the temp sensors say it should.

They do not turn on pumps. Even the full automation controllers have no ability to turn on the pump when the temp are right ... pretty dumb they have not added that ability actually.

You will have to set a timer to turn on the pump in the day and then actuate the valve to turn on the solar when needed.

Or if you want to just run the solar blindly, just always leave the solar on and use a timer to turn the pump on when the sun is out. Don't even need s solar controller of you go that route.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

Thats what I am doing now. I run the solar for 3 hours a day regardless (on a timer). But on those cold rainy days, it will cool my pool further doing it this way.

Whats the "solar override". theres this blurb in a manual:

The function of this relay varies with the model of the Aqua Solar. If
the "Solar Override" is enabled (see "Jumper Settings"), the Aqua Solar will override
the time clock and turn the filter pump on when there is a call for solar heating.

Interesting. I had not seen that information before. Sounds like it may do what you are looking for.

I have seen solar overrides where it would keep the pump on if solar was still available instead of turning off due to the timer.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

JasonLion said:
You need the -HV model, Model GLC-HV-2P-A, which includes a high voltage relay, to be able to turn the pump on when solar is called for.

OK MY controller arrived. I really hope this "solar override" feature works. Back to one of my original questions:

I keep the pool covered with a track cover so, I really do not need the filter to run very much when I am not using the pool. Therefore is it possible to not even need the 3 way valve with actuator? Bc basically i think the filter will get enough run time just trying to reach the desired temp as I am in the north east mountains and it gets kind of cool in the evenings.

You will want to have it eventually. You may not use it all that often, but you will want to use it now and again. Say you get algae, then you will want to run the pump 24/7 and not have it going through the solar panels all that time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.