5 days into green

Apr 21, 2008
My numbers appear to be holding.
FC last eve- 19.5
FC this am 18.5
still see a hint of CC ~0.5 last eve, was minimal if that this am.

My CYA is 45-50
I should keep my shock level around 20 till then green water goes away?

I check in the eve and in the morn, backwash every evening, dump in bleach as necessary, been raining here in WVirginia!

The water is improving but still green tinged. Should I just keep the FC at 20 till it clears?

Mike

good idea
I have but its hard when you cant see what your brushing.
I may run my auto vac this weekend and brush some more. I kinda felt like brushing was making the water murky but its a good idea and let the sand filter clean it up.
Thanks
Mike

If the numbers are really correct and it's been 5 days with the water still green at shock levels, and the FC is holding overnight, then maybe some of that green isn't algae, but could be copper. Chlorine at shock levels normally turns the water from green to cloudy-green to cloudy relatively quickly. It's clearing the cloudiness that usually takes longer.

Was any sort of algaecide used at some point and did it contain copper? Is there any other reason that copper might be in the water (e.g. use of Nature2 or acid poured in the skimmer, etc.)

Richard

Nope,
I used Polyqueat when I closed,
and bleach to shock, the water is not a dark green anymore, in fact I can see the bottom in the 3ft end but water is still murky, it doesnt have that dark green pond look.
It just has a slight green tinge and I still cant see the drain at 8.5 ft.

Ideas?

Mike,

Since the green has lightened up, that's good and does sound more like algae that was killed. It does sound like you're almost there so I'd keep filtering, brushing, keeping the FC up at shock level. In the worst case if it doesn't continue to clear up, you can use a flocculant, but it sounds like you're close and often near the end it gets clear in a day. See this post from The Pool Forum that shows a typical sequence.

Richard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.