Height/Width of Counters and Bar for outdoor BBQ

Jul 7, 2012
All,

Love the photos of the projects on here...i am putting in a BBQ/Kitchen by my pool and am looking for advice on heights and widths for counters and bar...I have a basic drawing of what I am planning and have measured it out as to the basic lay out but am looking for input on how deept to make the counters and how high the counters and Bar top should be...Any help on standards used would be great....

Thank you
Bart

These answers somewhat depend on the layout and the type of equipment you plan have installed. My island has an average depth of 30-inches. Height is a little over 36-inches. I was shooting for 36-inches but the height of the equipment plus the height of my concrete counter pushed me over that an inch or two.

When researching for my build (nearing completion) I found these guidelines below on http://www.grillkitchens.com:

________________________________________________________________________________________
Common Design Measurements:
Finished Counter Height: 36-38”
Counter Depth: 30-36” (Appliance Specs will Determine)
Bar Height: 42-44”
Bar or Table Seating: 24” Per Chair
Legroom 15” Minimum
Counter Workspace: 24” Minimum*

* Recommend same as appliance cutout i.e. a 30” grill and 24” sink should have a minimum of 54” counter.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

I also found that 36" countertop height is standard in the kitchen and considered both the "optimal" and most ergonomic height.

I made my countertops 36" high, bar height is 42". Countertop depth is 30-32 inch (depending on which section) with 6" backsplash height.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.