Is 1 Backwash Sometimes Not Enough?

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

I'm new to Sand Filters. Just got a new 350 lb one, which has been in service 1 week cleaning a very dirty pool. The first time I turned it on the PSI was around 9, give or take 1. The first couple of times I backwashed, it brought the pressure back down to 10 psi. But now when I backwash, it only drops to 12 psi when it's done. My procedure has been backwash for 2 minutes, then rinse for 30 seconds. Should I repeat the procedure if it doesn't bring it down to 10?

Thanks

I backwash mine until the water in the sightglass is clear and has most of the black particles out of it, then rinse (30 sec - 1 minute), then do another 1-2 minute wash, followed by another rinse, then back to normal filter mode. Usually I don't do the second wash / rinse and let it go at once if it didn't take very long to get clear. But I really use the sightglass for Determining when to quit washing, and not time per se.

I believe back washing multiple times will help loosen up stubborn or heavy debris from the sanded. I think it's mostly the jostling of the water inside the tank when moving from backwash to rinse over and over that can break something stubborn free. I could be totally wrong just my theory

So I backwashed a second time. So that's a total of 4 minutes plus 1 minute of rinsing. Remained at 12 PSI. Guess 12 PSI is my new base point. Maybe 10 was just because it was brand new sand or something.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.