Pressure lost when vacum

Poolidiot

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2007
Texas
I cold have sworn I seen someone else with this problem but i cant find it. My pressure is fine until i hookup to vacuum, after just a short period of time it loses its suction. But if I dont have the vacuum hooked up the suction stays good. Anybody have any ideas? Sorry if this has been asked already and I am to dumb to locate the post.

Hi poolidiot
If you get all the air out of the vac hose before you plug it into the skimmer and get the valve turned to full skim and it starts to work and then quits you might have a small leak in the vac hose. hope this helps Ric W

Thanks ric, but I have an automatic cleaner and a manual one (diffrent hose for both) and have tried both and get the same result. And I shot water through the hose by the return till all air is out. So I dont think it is the hose or air in the line :(

You are down south so there are a few things that you can do. Either jump in and verify that indeed you have no air in your vacuum line, or pressure test the line to make sure it is not cracked and air is getting in once you have it hooked up. Everything points to the hose itself. Keep us posted. Good Luck

A little clarification...

When you start the pump and are not vacuuming, what does your pressure guage say? Then, when you vacuum, what direction does your pressure guage go...up or down?

Lastly, does your pump strainer basket have a clear lid that you can see into? If so, do you see any air bubbles in the lid before or after you vacuum?

Ok, I feel like an Idiot, (see my name does fit) But I decided to just backwash the filter and see what would happen. Must have been pretty dirty cause after I did that the vacuum works, never lost pressure. And I did jump in and ran the vacuum :lol: was a bit cold , water was 68 :shock: Thanks for all the suggestions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.