bad capacitor!?!?!?

Jul 8, 2012
i have a hayward tristar 2hp pump. the pump will try and come on but only hum then shut off. i can make the pump turn by manualy turning the input shaft and turns on and runs fine. i found a capacitor that is bad will that cause this problem? if not where should i start looking? any input will help thank you

If the start capacitor is bad it will prevent the motor from starting up on it's own. The start capacitor gives it an extra kick to help it get going just at first. A problem with the start switch can also cause the same symptom.

I'm gonna jump in here with my 2 cents worth since unfortunately, I am "Capacitor Queen"!! :-D I have had to replace at least 5 of them! I just don't even count any more. The guys at the machine supply house that I get them just go get one as soon as I walk in the door! :lol: This scenario you describe is exactly what would happen to me when mine would go bad. You should find a machine supply warehouse in your area to get one. They're only about $10-$15 through them whereas they will run $20-$30 online. Couldn't hurt to get 2 and have one on hand in case it does it again over a weekend or right in the middle of a pool party!

Back to lurking now.... :wink:
Karen

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.