Question about water loss

Jun 23, 2012
Farmington wv
I know it haves been very hot lately 103 yesterday my water was 89F. I happened to see I had lost a small amount of water so I did a test. I got a 5 gal bucket and marked the water line half way up and set it by my pool also marked the water line on the pool with the pump off. I have my pump on a timer it runs from 10 am-2 pm off from 2 pm-6pm on from 6pm-10pm off the rest of the night until 10am the next day. Over the day the bucket lost about 1/8 inch of water the pool had no visible loss. I got up today and the pool level had dropped over night about 1/8-1/4 inch. Why would my pool only lose water at night. Its an above ground pool so I can see all plumbing pipes they have no leaks. Thanks for any help given!

OK good. But I went out and look at the suction side of my pump and when it is off it is dripping at one of the threaded connections (easy fix I think/.hope). So that is most likely why I am only losing water at night ( the only time the pump is off for more than 4 hours streight). I am going to fix that and see what happens tonight.

Well the water was still just a bit down form last night. But was wondering. I read that more water evaporates at night when the pool water is warm and the air temp drops. Could that be what is happening? Also When the water is moving from the pump it will evaporate slower right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.