Need Help and Advice..Liner Problem by J Channel

johnnysnok

Feb 25, 2011
South Jersey
Yesterday my liner dropped from my J channel, it seems that it either just ripped away or the seal failed where the liner and the white bead attach?
The J channel is still in the track only the liner has moved.
Has anyone had to deal with this problem yet and if so how did you fix it??

Thanks

I just had the same problem.
fortunatly with a small peice like that it is a sorta easy fix.
1. Remove top rail.
2. from OUTSIDE pool use a hair dryer (or lots of hot water) and heat up liner (allows it to stretch easier)
3. pull and use a spoon or something to insert it back in the groove. I placed pennies behind the liner in that section to help hold it in place.
fix it before it gets big. - you may have to drain 5-6 inches of water though...

I'm not sure how to fix it but it does look like the liner has poped out of the channel. I'm not sure if it just snaps in there or is glued or bonded some way.

Have you thought about contacting the mfg to see what they recommend?

If the liner has become detached from the bead, I would think replacing the liner is the best option. How old is the liner, I assume (dangerous I know) that is would be covered under the warranty of the liner. I don't know how many liner manufacturers there are. Most of the patterns are only offered by one manufacturer, regardless of who sells it.

I just looked at your signature and yo have a Doughboy brand pool and it appears that is the DB Evening Star liner that is covered with a 25 year warranty where they cover 100% of the liner cost during the first three years and prorate after that. I would have you local DB dealer take a look at it.

This liner is 1 year old, my dealer is trying to make some calls today. The pool will be 3 summers this year and it has had 3 liners already from Doug****.
The first one had a seam split and lost all the water 1 week old, replacement liner the tile border did not line up and replaced it last May with this liner and now this problem.
Anybody want to buy a nice house in South Jersey....I will throw in a pool!!

I just hope it does not start running on me.

Do you have a beaded liner (where a small bead snaps into a track or bead receiver) or a J-hook where the J-hook goes directly over the steel wall (no coping strips, tracks, or receivers)

I have a J hook system which is still intact. The liner has become detached from the white bead which runs along the top of the liner and hase the hook side attached to it.
My dealer just sent me an email saying they need to order another liner, so hear we go again.

Hi johnysnok,

Sorry to read about your liner issues. Three in that time span would guarantee a 1-800-dirt-fill call by my husband.
As it is we have to replace ours next year. Is you don't mind my asking, who is the manufacturer? Seems like a place to avoid ordering from.

Good luck with yours!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
His liner is direct from a major pool manufacturer based on what I have read. I might consider going with another pattern if that one seems to be problematic, but I don't see why a specific pattern would be more problematic than another.

techguy said:
His liner is direct from a major pool manufacturer based on what I have read.
Yes, I read that. Despite who orders or installs, has far as I'm aware, you certainly can know who the manufacturer is.
Three in a row? Hmmm.

techguy said:
I might consider going with another pattern if that one seems to be problematic, but I don't see why a specific pattern would be more problematic than another.
Admittedly I don't know the process, but I agree it seems odd the pattern would make a difference. That would leave the way it's put together, wouldn't it? After three in a row, would you recommend that liner/manufacturer/brand?

If you change liner makers, you will not have DB buy it for you. Is it really an "octagon" or it a round pool made of straight lines? I just changed my liner and I had a J-hook and bought another, by choice.

If you went with an overlap, you would lose the tile edging and the joint between the liner and wall hook; but, it could be stretched directly into your pool's shape. This is what I understand to be DB's strength with their overlap liners. You would need coping strips but they are inexpensive. Bead receivers, the other type of liner attachment, would be at least $100 in addition to the liner and can be problematic.

I have seen you can get "tile stickers" for the waterline.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.