Auto Cover rails dropping metal shavings into pool!

MattM

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 14, 2011
San Diego, CA
When vacuuming pool two weeks ago, found dozens of tiny metal shavings within bag (almost like tiny strands of solder). Interviewed kids...could not find source. Wife found more the next weekend. I finally inspected all around the pool and found one part of the auto cover rails that looked like it had a metal piece peeling away from edge. There were shavings right underneath in water. Gotcha. I cut off the piece that was extending slightly out over pool and vacuumed pool again. Called pool cover company....they are sending someone out next week. Anyone else ever see this? Is this something that one normally has to monitor as pool cover ages? Ours is only 6 months old...

Attachments

• metalshaving1.jpeg
    metalshaving1.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 80
During instillation of our cover, the top rail has mounting holes that needed to be drilled. Because our aluminum rail sits on a wooden deck, there are gaps below each deckboard’s joint. When cleaning the deck with a hose, I saw that I was washing out metal shavings (I think smaller than that). I am sure it was where they drilled the holes. In a normal instillation, the shavings would be trapped below the rail and concrete. However, in our case, there are small gaps to allow those shavings to wash out. I used the hose to wash them out the other direction so they didn’t get into the pool.

Do you think this is what you might have?

Actually, what I am guessing is that the metal on one side of the rails weakened and the top most portion of the rail that supports the cover splintered somewhat and everytime the cover opens/closes it shaves a bit more off... I believe this because the rail looked slightly lower in this section and I had to twist off a tiny shard of metal from the top....but perhaps I'm misunderstanding...we'll find out when the pool cover guys get here. I'd be happy to find out that it was just an installation issue rather than something to watch out for the next many years.

Well, the pool cover guys didn't replace the rails -- they think the issue was that the metal bracket on the top of the cover that connects the rope to the end was rubbing against the concrete coping. Easy test fix was to move the bracket underneath the cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.