What needs to be done to pool for leaving it for a week

Jun 23, 2012
Farmington wv
My friend is leaving for a week and has no one to shock his pool for him until the end of the week 1 day before he comes back and I was just wondering what would need to be done to keep the pool from getting green for a week until someone can get some chlorine in it? He is using algaecide. also his pool is a A/G 24 round 48 deep. Thanks

Your friend needs to add as much water to the pool as he can before he leaves. Add what would be an initial dose of algaecide. Double shock the pool the night before he leaves. What I mean by that is shock the pool, but use double the amount of shock he normally would. If he uses a floater, load it to capacity. If he uses a chlorinator feeder, run it at the maximum setting. Doing all that should insure that his chlorine level stays up, and he won't have to worry about it being too high since nobody will be swimming in the pool.

If he's got 100 ppm CYA, then if you raise the FC to 15 ppm or so (or even to 20 ppm) then the chlorine should last through the week unless there's already algae growth. With 100 ppm CYA, the loss from sunlight is around 15% per day so you'll probably end up with around 5 ppm at the end of the week. With the algaecide in the pool, it's unlikely to get algae between that and the chlorine. If you weren't using algaecide, then you could shock the pool to an even higher FC level which would make it more likely to last longer, but with the algaecide you probably don't have to do that.

I think Will tell him to fill the pool as full as he can shock it good and put some extra algaecide in. Do you think he should put in tablet in his floater or not? I will be able to go over near the end of the week to shock it for him so hopefully we can stay ahead of it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.