I'm worried about pool collapsing and destroying the house !

Jul 4, 2011
I know the probability of this happening is small but my 60-year-old house sits on a dirt slope and the only place I can put the pool is on a brick patio right above it. The space under the house contains heating and electrical systems with large vents facing the patio. The patio also has a wall on the other side so if the pool leaks or collapses all the water will go toward the house. The pool is an 18-foot Intex above-ground pool. It's about a year old and is still in good condition but I've heard about this type of pool collapsing and I'm still worried.

Please let me know if you think I should be worried or if I'm just being paranoid.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: I'm worried about pool collapsing and destroying the hou

The odds of a failure are quite low. On the other hand, the cost of a failure could be quite high in that situation.

How much room do you have to work with? I wonder if you could do something that would divert any water around the house?

JasonLion said:
The odds of a failure are quite low. On the other hand, the cost of a failure could be quite high in that situation.

How much room do you have to work with? I wonder if you could do something that would divert any water around the house?

Thanks for the replies. I have about 4 feet between the pool and the house with no door in use on that side of the house so there should be plenty of room to put up a barrier. The barrier will have to be at least 50 feet long to divert water around the house.

Some pictures of your house, the patio, and any areas around the house would help.

If the patio is solid and level, and the pool is in good shape then chances are slim it would collapse, but as Jason stated, if something out of the ordinary would happen the expense would be huge.

If the patio is your only option for setting up the pool it will come down to if you want to take the risk or not.

Samantha Sabrina said:
Some pictures of your house, the patio, and any areas around the house would help.

If the patio is solid and level, and the pool is in good shape then chances are slim it would collapse, but as Jason stated, if something out of the ordinary would happen the expense would be huge.

If the patio is your only option for setting up the pool it will come down to if you want to take the risk or not.

Thanks Samantha. Here are two pictures I just took today. They don't show the slope under the house but you can see the vent openings at ground level.

Attachments

• patio-2.jpg
    patio-2.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 324
  • patio-1.jpg
    patio-1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 323

I takeit the vents are under the door?

Can you snap a pic going away from the house where the patio stops?

It certainly looks like an interesting situation, but with enough information and some more pics, I am sure there is more than enough collective know how on this forum to figure out a solution.

What will happen to the splash out water, say some people start doing cannon ball, is the water going to somehow get in those vents?

This is an idea and might not work.

It looks like under the plants the bricks aren't there. Is it possible to put in a trench next to the house to divert the water? It would mean doing some landscaping. If you put in a trench you should be able to put some grates of some sort on top of the trench so that you wouldn't have the danger of falling or stumbling in it. At the end of the trench you may have to find a way to divert the water away from the house.

I live in an old house and have never done any construction work so if this won't work sorry for the suggestion.

I would not worry about it. If the pool does explode it probably wont cause that much damage. Those vent openings are small and will slow down the rush of the water. I assume that it rains on your patio from time to time, so water has gotten into the vents.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I would say that the two youtube videos show that the exploding pool does not do much damage. In the first videoo the plastic garden shed is not destroyed or swept away. In the second video the large swing set / tree house is not damaged at all. The guy wasn't too smart having hids daughter in the play set when he cut the pool. The odds of your pool exploding without some help from vandals is very low. Even if it did explode it would just get wet under the house, no damage.

I have a friend who had an 18' above ground that the sidewall collapsed on and it moved his wood shed 3 feet off its foundation. I don't know if its worth it or not. Water has some awesome power in large quantity.

My father in law had a pool blow out when my wife was growing up but it was kinda his fault :)
He was in a hurry to put up a pool (hot day) and put in every other screw, this was back in the day when each panel screwed together. they filled it up and jumped in only for it to blow out with them in it lol!
No one was hurt
That was back in the day when money actually had some type of value and things were affordable so they just went to sears and purchased another one lol!

You could put a large timber or railroad tie next to the vents on the house. If there was an blowout with the pool it would push the wood over to block the vents.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.