Big Dent in bottom of pool

Jul 11, 2011
Northern NY
Tonight I noticed a big dent in the bottom of our pool about 4-5 inch diameter and about 4 inches deep about 1 1/2 feet away from the side wall. We have no idea what could have caused that. It looks like a cannon ball was dropped in it. :shock:
Our pool is just over a year old and we're worried that this could cause the liner to rip or tear. I'll call the pool guys tomorrow, but it will probably be a few day before they can come and since it's been a couple weeks over the 1 year mark this is probably not covered under warranty. :grrrr:
Any thoughts what to do? :cry:

Could alo be result of water washing down that side of pool, i.e. bad drainage there. Or draining right to the pool there. I have a divot on one edge of mine I KNOW was caused by a flash flood right after the pool was installed.

Hi I have extremely limited experience and do not want to dismiss what could be worth much concern. But I thought I would share that my in-laws had an AGP for 35 years, well past its life expectancy. Last summer was the first summer without it, as a matter of fact. But that thing had a sink hole very much like you've described, only bigger, for at least the 20 years I had swum in it. It was unexplained, but had no ill-effects on the function of the pool. I hope that eases your mind a little as you work to solve the mystery :)

Southeastern Indiana, USA
27' x 4' 17,600gal AG round
1.5 HP 1 speed pump
22" Ecco sand filter

Reactions: Maurino17
Well, not really. I called the pool place twice and they told me that they would call me back, but that they are very busy :grrrr:
I noticed another big dent on the opposite side of the pool close to the edge, too :shock:
We looked around the outside edge of the pool, but could not see anything suspicious at all.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have the same type problems. Pulled liner this spring, releveled ground, problem fixed right? Wrong. My ground has leveling issues, probably caused by rain and or the fact that we brought in 20 truck loads of dirt to build up our sloped yard. We packed it tight 2 years ago when we built but it seems to be still settling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.