Pool Issues

Jul 7, 2012
Hi everyone!

I have read about shocking, BBB and the evils of the pool store.

Here is my problem though.. I am about to purchase a home in 2 weeks. When I looked at the house the pool looked great. I came back another time and it was cloudy. Well once the offer was accepted and financing was approved I had stopped by the house. I noticed the pool was very dark almost black. The owner got transfered and had someone taking care of his pool or so he thought. Needless to say it wasnt being done. He suggested putting some shock in it (meaning a bag) and it would be fine.

That did not fix the problem.

So what I have done to work on the pool. I do not have a test kit of my own besides strips, I have been going to the pool store. I am going to purchase a TF 100 once I actually take ownership of the house but until then I am stuck using their testing equipment as a guide.

Before I found these great forums, my ammonia was sky high. Over 8. It turned pitch black. I drained about 25% of the water and re-filled it. I used shock, clorinating granules, 4 pucks in the skimmer and 8 in the dispenser.

Great news! My ammonia is now good (only cost 175$ for a house I technically dont own yet). I have gotten the pool to a cloudy blue.

Here are my results since the first of July:

7/1 - FC .43, TC 5.44, CC 5.01 PH 8.2, CH 526, AK 117, CYA 31, Copper .1, Iron 0 - Shock that night, 20# of tri-cal, pucks 4 in skimer 8 in dispenser
7/5 - FC 1.14, TC 2.08, CC.94, PH 6.4, CH 505, AK 58.9, CYA 97, Copper .4, Iron 0 - Was after another shock, found tfp website around here. I was waiting to see what it did the next day.
7/6 - FC 0, TC .11, CC .11, PH 6.5, CH 504, AK 79.2, CYA 106, Copper .5, Iron 0 - 6 gallons 12.5% liquid chlorine. 9 pounds of alk up.
7/7 - FC 5.22, TC 6.12, CC .9, PH 6.6, CH 530, ALK 99.2, CYA 116, Copper .5, Iron 0 - 5 pounds of soda ash (afternoon) and planning on putting in 5 gallons of 12.5%

So I used the pool calculator and I am following the guidelines as best as I can working with what I have. I would like someone to go over the numbers and make sure I am heading in the right direction. I will be doing a OCLT? test tomorrow after I bring the pool to shock level tonight (28) and at 9AM be on the doorstep of the pool store to test. I will post those tomorrow. If it stays about right how do I get it from a cloudy / hazy color to crystal clear?

Pool specs:

26,500 IG, Vinyl Liner, Sand Filter. Backwashed pushing 7 PSI. I use well water from the house.

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School....your numbers have some issues.

7/7 - FC 5.22, TC 6.12, CC .9, PH 6.6, CH 530, ALK 99.2, CYA 116, Copper .5, Iron 0 - 5 pounds of soda ash (afternoon) and planning on putting in 5 gallons of 12.5%

Ph 6.6...if that's correct (and it probably isn't) you must bring the pH up to around 7.4 immediately

CH 530 quite high. needs to get down to around 300 to be ideal

CYA 116 .....you will never manage this pool successfully as long as your CYA is this high (it may or may not be...I do not trust these numbers)

Copper .5ppm....note that your copper went from .1 a few days ago to .5 in the last test. That .5 is a dangerous (staining) level. Did you add something that had copper in it? If not, then the rest of the testing is probably as inaccurate as the copper.

My suggestion is that you will need to drain and refill about 50% of this pool based on those numbers. You should consider your own test kit and then you will know for sure if that's what you need to do.

OK, If I read it right, I only should drain 25%ish each time since its a vinyl liner?

On that note, should I stop putting chemicals in it until then? Drain 25% fill, circulate a day and then drain/ fill again?

duraleigh said:
Welcome to the forum. :lol:

read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School....your numbers have some issues.

Ph 6.6...if that's correct (and it probably isn't) you must bring the pH up to around 7.4 immediately

CH 530 quite high. needs to get down to around 300 to be ideal

CYA 116 .....you will never manage this pool successfully as long as your CYA is this high (it may or may not be...I do not trust these numbers)

Copper .5ppm....note that your copper went from .1 a few days ago to .5 in the last test. That .5 is a dangerous (staining) level. Did you add something that had copper in it? If not, then the rest of the testing is probably as inaccurate as the copper.

My suggestion is that you will need to drain and refill about 50% of this pool based on those numbers. You should consider your own test kit and then you will know for sure if that's what you need to do.

I have read all the pool schools and about 4 pages back on each forum. While I can read and comprehend what is on them, never having a pool before I want to make sure. :) call me nervous nellie !

It will be about another 2 weeks before ordering a kit. I want to make sure I have the house before I drop 100 on a tester that will do me no good if the house falls through. I know ive spent 2 times that on chemicals lol. Instant gratification and tinkering FTW!

The water I use for filling my pool is naturally very hard. It is Indiana well water. Looking at other tests the previous owner has used his was high also.

While I think some of the numbers could be off some, doing 3 different test strips and a store test shows it is low. While the exact number maybe off, I am pretty sure it is low.

I guess what I am asking is this.

I do not technically own this house until the week of July 16th (closing date) the house is not being taken care of so I have decided to hedge my bet and do not want it sitting there getting worse.

Knowing that all I have access to is a store test, what should I do to roughly get the pool and keep it in decent shape for 2 weeks. Once I have an exact closing date I will order a tf 100 and the real tweaking can begin.

Knowing that all I have access to is a store test, what should I do to roughly get the pool and keep it in decent shape for 2 weeks.
One of the drawbacks to the BBB method we teach is it is based entirely on accurate testing, dosing and knowing what to do with those test results.

So, let's assume your pool store tests are accurate (they may be but I doubt it) we are going to tell you to drain 50% of your pool and refill with fresh water.

Then, you find out through your own testing that the CYA was really 45ppm (not 116) and you have done all that drain, refill and expense for nothing...in fact you will have to add more CYA that you just drained off.

Same with pH...if your pH is really 6.6 you will need several boxes of 20 mule team borax to get it up to around 7.4. However, if it was really already 7.4, you would then have to buy a few gallons of muriatic acid to get it back down because it is now too high.

So, about all I would do in the interim is dump a large jug of Clorox in the pool each evening. It'll help.

OK that sounds like a good plan.

I am sure it is not accurate. If everyone is having issues with pool stores then I am sure its not an isolated issue. I really am chomping at the bit to get a test kit to really fix the pool.

My main concern is not doing anything and it being being black or green when I move in.

Thanks and I am sure the 16th or so you will see some more posts from this newb trying to figure it all out :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.