Cloudy water wont uncloudy ..

I understand what you mean but I sat on the third stair..leaned down into the water, hit bottom and got this sample. I guess I can go under water instead of sitting on the stairs? but I still dont think it will be any different. I dont have a bigger container either:( I do have a big stainless steal pot I use for soup and stuff I can put water in...? would that work?

guardwife2 said:
I understand what you mean but I sat on the third stair..leaned down into the water, hit bottom and got this sample. I guess I can go under water instead of sitting on the stairs? but I still dont think it will be any different. I dont have a bigger container either:( I do have a big stainless steal pot I use for soup and stuff I can put water in...? would that work?

I'd try a 5 gallon white paint bucket if possible. The color on the third step is weakly green and I'm guessing the depth of that step is more than the bucket you have.

Also try the 1 cup of bleach idea from just before this. That may show us something. Tell us what happens when you do it - even if nothing happens.

The frog is just saying that you will need a container that is a deep as your step to see the same color. Your container is too shallow.

I too vote for putting some chlorine in that container... then stir.

ok..I just got in...went a little bit away from the 4th stair, with a bigger bucket and went under to get water...it still is not green. looks just like the other and the bucket is white..here are pics. I used the small container to get water and poured it into the bigger container..easier to do this way.

by the way my pool water is so nice...and felt great :( wish we could swim

How deep is the water in your bucket? Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks as if the bucket depth is slightly less than the depth to your second step...and that step is pretty clear...so the bucket will look clearer (and won't be tinted by the liner color).

Did you put the chlorine in it?

its a 5 gallon bucket filled half way up. well that is water from the bottom of the pool. I took the little container and repeatedly filled it from the bottom of the pool. No, I didnt' add chlroine b/c the water is clear...I dont believe it will change it. I actually went into the pool, a little from the 4th steps, got under teh water and got water samples from the bottom.

One thing that came to mind is this:

at the beginning of the pool season..we had no problems getting it clear and just a little dull not bad though. so we added somethiing called Sparkle up. we use it as needed and after we added it we put on the solar cover and let it sit and within a day the water was beautiful. It seemed that the water had tiny bubbles in it and for some reason when we added that and the cover it helped settle the bubble...so my question is...could I have bubbles again? I know we keep talking about algae and yes with the cc being a 1 or so it says I have it..however....at what point do we say ok it could be something else? or do we ever say that? lol

Trust us...add the chlorine to the new bucket and mix it and take another picture in an hour or so...we want to see what the water does.

We don't really care how deep from the pool you took the water sample, just how deep the bucket is compared to your pool depth...it is much shallower, so the fact that it looks "clear", does not mean much.

question concerning adding bleach to the bucket....if the water appears clear in the bucket...what good will adding bleach to it? it will just remain clear right? I dont understand why I need to do that so im clarifying the reasoning of it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ok...I got back in the pool..took the bucket and filled it off of water from past the 3rd step..it is still clear...even the full bucket. but I did it. I also added 2 cups of bleach and put it in a shady spot...not sure what this will do but I did it. it's clear, the bleach is clear so not sure what the results will show or why im doing this? but I did it. some of the water splashed out on the pool deck when I sat it down so there was about a half inch clearance to the top which was good b/c I was able to add the bleach.

It's just not deep enough to see it, and maybe the white has something to do with it as well. 4' deep blue buckets are hard to come by though...

I think I can see some of the green/cloudiness in the bucket. Let's see what happens today in the bucket. Dead algae may fall to the bottom and be visible as cloudy dust.

I did only suggest this to put your mind at ease though. With 1ppm CC, the fact remains that the chlorine is battling something organic and is working. I also think perhaps a stroll through some of the green swamp threads here could help with mind ease. I do not recall many green pools turning blue in 2 days, other than the one guy from last year who dumped 20 bottles of bleach into his pool in one dose and then complained that it didn't clear up in the first few days, and refused to get a test kit. His pool went back to light green by a week later btw... And he likely damaged something somewhere.

ok..I dont have a bigger bucket so this will have to do. ill give it the hour and check it and post a new pic. I honestly dont think it will change but we shall see. I will continue to do the shocking today....tonight will be the third day/night of it....if I dont see results soon I will floc it again. atleast by flocking it it settles and I can vacuum it out...which has helped me get it out of the pool in the past. it wouldn't be this clear if I hadn't flocked it already b/c it was grass green.

Let us know how the bucket goes.

Three days is not very long...you are still loosing a lot of FC...6 ppm FC loss overnight last night and still getting some CC. This morning you lost 9.5 ppm FC from 6 am to 10 am. From the FC drops, youcan see you are killing stuff, therefore there is still more stuff to kill. You need to continue to do what you are doing and add chlorine, then the chlorine will continue to do what it is doing...killing organics. When your FC does not drop overnight and you no longer get CC measurements, then clarifiers might be helpful.

You can't run your filter while the floc does it's job, which would be detrimental to the shocking process. I would recommend waiting on floc till it's not losing chlorine and the CC's are down, and perhaps even forgetting it entirely. Pools can be cleared without it. I know it sounds like something to try again, I hope you realize that floc did not remove or kill any of the algae (green) in your pool, it simply allowed already dead algae to fall to the bottom so you could vacuum it up. Floc is not an algae killer. I understand that you saw improvement after using it, but I can assure you that the floc was not what killed the algae.

No I agree, I dont think the floc killed the algae. What I do think is the algaecide we put in it prior to the flocking helped kill some of the algae and then the floc allowed it to settle to the bottom so we could vacuum it out to waste. I wish I would of taken a picture of the first flocking...It was like sludge..thick, on the bottom....I vacuumed it for 3 days and on the last day I could see the bottom of the liner as well as the sides with just a little bit left on the bottom but after I got to vacuuming it it was stirred up again.

but here is new pics of the bucket. it's been an hour. What I noticed as well as some of fb that the water turned cloudy. so is there something in the bleach that can cause this? I know algae can but is there other stuff in bleach that can/will cause it too?....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.