how much bleach ?

have you read Pool School?
Do you have a recommended test kit?

You can not follow the shock PROCESS as described in Pool School correctly without the correct test kit.

The Poolcalculator will calculate what you should add, but it is not a good idea too blindly throw in a massive amount of "magic powder"

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

We haven't ordered our test kit yet. It was just filled. The pool store tested it . They are who said we needed 12 lbs of shock. It is 12,000 gallons. The free chlorine is 0. Total chlorine 0. PH 8.8 total alkalinity 125 total hardness 46 . They had us add 3.25 lbs of Lo N SLO and bottle of algecide.They say we need 12 lbs shock. I want to order a test kit and get the BBB method going. Where do I start while I wait on my kit ?

pool store testing is notoriously bad. So if you have no testing ability yourself there is not much you can do.

Correct steps would be:
Get pH in mid 7s
Get CYA up to around 30ppm
Follow the shock process

Note that algaecide and phosphate removers are a waste of money and not needed if you keep the correct FC level for your CYA level.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

12 lbs of dichlor will raise your CYA by 56 & your FC by 61. 61 ppm FC in an unstabilized pool will definitely damage your liner. Cal-hypo would be even worse.
I hope you didn't add that much. You only need 1.5 large jugs of bleach to get to shock level.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.