water issue

Jun 25, 2012
I've been fighting algae in my 16 x 48 AGP for a couple of weeks. Yesterday, we hooked up our upgraded filter/pump. At that time, I checked my levels. My water was greenish. I am using the 6way test from HTH. My TA level was high (200), the PH was 7.8). I added more bleach and ran the new pump/filter all night.

This morning, my water is now bluish/green and seems to be a little clearer. My TA is now 150 and the PH is 7.2. I can barely see the bottom of the pool...so I'm thinking I just need to give it time....

My question is the color of the water. Is my goal to have the water white/chalky colored? I think I read that if it is still greenish, I haven't killed all the algae? Am I correct? If so, I would need to add more bleach. According to my test, it's reading 5+ (really yellow!)

Also, I also took a sample to Leslie's (just to see if my #s were the same as theirs--they were very close)... Since my calcium level is low (80)...they are STILL saying I need to up it. They say its causing my cloudy water. From what I read here, that just isn't correct. Right??

You are not correctly following the shock process as described in Pool School.

Also sounds like you do not have the correct test kit to actually follow the process.

You need to have the FAS-DPD test to measure high FC and CC levels.

Correct. Ignore the low CH in a vinyl pool.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

i may also add stock up on 6% bleach and baking soda and borax if you are going to be using the BBB method and also get a gallon of muratic acid and some stabilizer and a old sock so when your test kit arrives you will be ready for battle......Mike

P.S re-read POOL SCHOOL.....LOL

I just ordered the TF100 test kit--should arrive sometime next week. I already have lotsa bleach, 20 mule team borax, and muratic acid. Since hooking up my new pump/filter last night, just backwashed green water. So I know it's doing it's job... Guess I'll just keep the filter system running 24/7 until everything clears...

I realize it's gonna take time,but do I need to do anything else?

Your pH looks fine (make sure it is in the mid/low 7s before starting) ... just need to start the shock process ... once you know your CYA level and FC shock level.

You can continue to add a bottle of bleach every evening until your test kit arrives.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.