What do I need to do?

hdross

Jun 3, 2012
Marshall, Mo.
I tested my chlorine this morning and it was

FC 2
CC 0
I added 182 oz. to bring it up to 6 according to the pool calculator.
I also vacuumed and brushed the walls.
I re-tested to see if I was at 6, and this is what I found

FC 3
CC 2
I added 3 96 oz bottles of Menards bleach. Should I bring it up to Shock level, or wait and do the overnight test?

Re: What di I need to do?

with CC that high, no point in doing the OCLT. You need to start the shock process, after confirming your pH is in line.

Post up the full set of tests.

Posted with Tapatalk ... sorry if I sound short ... hate typing on phone ;)

hdross said:
The PH was high 8.2
TA 190
Borates 15
CYA 25
According to calculator I need to add 100 oz muratic acid!
Also gonna add stabelizer
You might need more than 100 ounces - anything above 8.2 reads as 8.2. Maybe you're closer to 9?

I'd probably add a quart, brush it around, add another quart, brush it around, add another quart, brush it around, and then recheck pH in half an hour with the pump running. Or longer, if you have something else to do. Then see how much more you should add. With your high TA, even if you knock pH down to 7.4, it will likely climb again to 7.8 in a day or two.

lower pH into the mid/low 7s
Maybe raise CYA up to around 30ppm
Start the shock process

After passing the 3 tests then adjust CYA up higher and consider adding other parameters.

X2 what Richard just said. Ignore your TA for now.

I do not know the reason but all newbies seem VERY interested in adjusting TA when it is the least critical parameter and, in most cases, should be dealt with last. pH and chlorine should be your priorities.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

duraleigh said:
X2 what Richard just said. Ignore your TA for now.

I do not know the reason but all newbies seem VERY interested in adjusting TA when it is the least critical parameter and, in most cases, should be dealt with last. pH and chlorine should be your priorities.

Hehe... my tap is TA550.... so, in an attempt to not buy stock in acid forever I figured why not work at it :) Then again, mine is crazy high... the chlorine is good but the pH is and will be a constant issue until the TA is stable. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding how TA interacts with the others but in some cases it seems we newbs may need to pay attention to in order to get to 'trouble free'

the point is you need the CYA and FC right or the pool will turn green fast. High TA will just raise the pH which could eventually result in scaling ... not an over night issue.

It its about prioritizing the most urgent needs.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.