Help me out on my CYA please

Jun 5, 2012
Edmond, OK
Trying to figure out what's going on with my CYA. You can see my swamp transformation here.

Numbers from today noon are as follows....

FC - 4.5
CC - 0
pH - 7.8
TA - 70
CH - 200
CYA - ?

I have followed the directions both in the TF test kit and the extended directions posted here on the site. My CYA test water does not "cloud" up. I have added 4 lbs around June 10th, and I saw no change in the test over a week later. I added another 4 lbs around the 29th.

My test today shows NO CYA present. This heat and the sun's UV rays are chewing my chlorine like crazy.

What do you guys think? :scratch:

I would say you have no CYA.

1. Do you have an autofill?

2. Look carefully on the package and make sure it's CYA.

I know especially #2 is a bit insulting but there are VERY few reasons for your CYA not to be in there....those are about the only two I can think of.

It was the HTH stuff from Walmart. Dangled it in a sock in front of a return.

One test I did about two weeks ago showed slight cloudiness, but none today. I let the sample sit for a couple of minutes before pouring it in the view tube.

So if you do not have an autofill, putting it in the way you did should have kept it out of the filter for the most part, so changing them out should not have removed any significant about of cya. It should be showing up right now, I get 64 ppm for 8 lbs in you 15000 gallon pool.

So...I am at a bit of a loss too. A couple of thoughts:

1. What does the label on your stabilizer/cya show for percent of cya?
2. How exactly, step by step did you do your testing?
3. There is an outside chance the your cya was "bad"...i.e. if you add cya again, I would add a different brand just in case.

Not sure on the %. As I said, the stabilizer I used both times was the HTH stuff from Walmart. The two times I added it was well over a week before I changed out the filters.

Took my water sample from about 1 foot down on the deep end. Filled up to the bottom of the label. Added R-0013 to the top of the label. Shook for about 30 seconds and let it sit for maybe 30 seconds. Shook one last time and then started adding it in the tube. The sample water is not cloudy and does not obscure vision of the dot in any way.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah, I am stumped. That test in the TF-100 is virtually 100% reliable. Is there a pool store near by you that would do a test (not strips) to confirm the presence of CYA in your pool?

Assuming they get the same result as you, I would go back to the store and ask for a refund for the CYA or at least a replacement. It virtually never goes bad but I am unable to come up with any other ideas.

If the pool storeDOES get a CYA reading, please PM me with your name and we'll take it from there.

We have had reports of bad CYA before.

I would put a lot more faith in the pool store result if it had been anything other than 30. That's about the lowest level they can test so if it tested at the bottom of the range, they may count it as 30.

The only faith i have in Leslie's results is the other tests they performed were in line with my results. It took everything in me to wait behind three others having their water tested. The amount of bs I heard them spitting out was astounding. Of course, all of their recommendations to those people involved spending quite a bit of money with them. I had to bite my tongue to keep from calling them idiots and pointing the other customers to this site. I don't think the Leslie's clerks would have tested my water if I had done that. :lol:
Dave has been gracious enough to send a replacement of the R0013 reagent to eliminate that variable. If I see no difference in my result, I guess I am going to go with the Walmart stabilizer as being bad.

Well, looks like I got a bad two batches of CYA

Here's the CYA standard that Dave sent to me using my original R-0013
a5707bb8.jpg

And This is my pool sample.
c71d3299.jpg

I guess I'll head to Leslie's to get some of the liquid stabilizer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.