First Post to share my algae horror story

Jul 7, 2012
To start, I want to thank you all for the information provided within this website. I wanted to share a story with you. I purchased a home in March with a pool that had been covered by the VA. It was unknown how bad the condition of the pool was but I had to purchase this home based on the price point alone ($60,000 for a 2000 sq ft home on 1/2 acre). The pool was inspected for functionality and it was determined that the liner was fairly new, the mechanics worked, and there were no leaks (water was still full). Closed on the house and started uncovering the pool.

:shock:

Words fail me

This water had 1 inch of visibility.

20120331Pool01.jpg

20120331Pool05.jpg

My filter hates me

So I got started. First order of business was to evict the residents. I removed over one hundred of these guys.

20120414Bullfrog07.jpg

20120605Frogs01.jpg

They do not like chlorine. The pool absorbed 8 gallons of %12 liquid chlorine a day.

And leaf netting

20120702Pool01.jpg

My Dog
20120702Bear13.jpg

and where I am today, 4 weeks later

DSC_1490.jpg

It took 4 weeks because I discovered a setback, for two weeks the pump had a small error. When you touched the water you would be electrocuted. Took two weeks to save up for the replacement pump. Following all the advice and reading pool school I (a first time pool owner) was able to get this far. As you can see I am now in the FLOC and vacuum stages. Thank you all for the great advice and I will update when the water is crystal clear. :-D

Wow! I can see why words failed you when you first saw that. What a great turnaround :goodjob: I know you are not completely done yet but what a tremendous improvement.

BTW, nice lookin' dog you got there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.