Bad Visit to Pool Store

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
Went to the pool store this morning. I wanted to buy a silicon based lube for my pump O ring - air is in basket and hoping it is as easy as this to fix. I also wanted to price 12% or so Liquid Chlorine as even with my small pool I'm ready to be done hauling bleach from Sam's every few weeks. I also wanted to price liquid stabilizer because I have no patience and wanted the CYA to show up on tests quicker than a week.

Asked the owner for lubricant for pump O ring and he said, "do you have Vaseline at home? It's the same thing." When I looked skeptical, he continued, "I've been doing this for 30 years. All you need is vaseline. Actually, I usually recommend you just replace the O ring and advise against using any lubricant. All it does is get sucked into the pump and gunk up all your expensive pump parts and your filter." So I let that go, letting him think I'd go home and use Vaseline.

Then I asked if he had liquid chlorine. He said no, and why would I want it? I said I've been using 6% bleach and wanted to get more bang for the ounce. He said bleach only has an 18 day shelf life so I shouldn't rely on it. I said I've been doing fine with Chlorox but wanted a stronger concentration and that I've read where people in other states get it at their pool stores. He said no one sells that stuff here and it doesn't work in Nebraska anyway because "we have a different sun situation than Arizona and Florida."

He also didn't sell liquid stabilizer. Zero for Three at the pool store today. Went to Ace Hardware and got silicon lubricant in the plumbing section and the guy there confirmed NOT to use a petroleum based product like Vaseline. Ace also had hth brand "liquid chlorinator" which says it is 10% sodium hypochlorite and 90% "other ingredients." I think this is just 10% bleach, but hesitate a bit because the label also says this product is for the dual purpose of sanitizing and shocking your pool and won't "over-stabilize" the water. Hopefully that means it has no stabilizer at all.

Where at in Nebraska? What pool store? And which Ace, I am looking for a higher concentration of bleach too, but I can not seem to fins it around here at a reasonable price, vs the 6% solution.

And yes, you are correct, it is a 10% solution, no CYA.

Fritz, I'm in Lincoln. The pool store was the store at 16 and Old Cheney (Clearwater I think is the name). I also tried Bonsall at 33 and HWY2 and they also don't stock it, but gave not goofy answers like the guy at the other store.

The Ace I went to was 40 and Old Cheney-ish. Several Aces have small pool sections with CYA and some other stuff - but this is the first I've noticed the 10% bleach. It was $4.49 for a gallon, I think.

I like it that you have different sun out there. Maybe the guys is also a part timer for the Chamber of Commerce and is looking to try a new angle to attract tourists.

He was right about one thing; liquid chlorine (bleach) does have shelf life. The higher concentrations deteriorate more rapidly, at first, than the lower concentrations (especially if you leave it outside).

The silicon lubes are best, although more expensive. You can also use teflon lubes, but avoid using them on chlorinators.

Pro tip: WD 40 and paper towels do a good job of removing lubricant build up on o-rings, pump lid threads and the like. :goodjob:

Winger 03 said:
I like it that you have different sun out there. Maybe the guys is also a part timer for the Chamber of Commerce and is looking to try a new angle to attract tourists.

Yes, it was very tempting to ask him to explain why chlorine doesn't work in Nebraska, but I was already at my 3rd store and wanting to be home. Plus, I sort of felt bad for him. When I asked, in a last ditch effort to buy something there, if he had any unique pool toys, he said he doesn't stock toys anymore because he can't compete with Target and Walmart. I just wanted out of there at that point. I was the only customer in each of the two pool stores I went to this morning -- I don't know how they stay in business.

crek31 (stating what pool store guy said) said:
He said no one sells that stuff here and it doesn't work in Nebraska anyway because "we have a different sun situation than Arizona and Florida."
If it's any consolation, I have not found a pool store in DFW area that sells liquid chlorine either. Whenever I ask for it, I get the same response you did. North Texas is at a similar latitude to Arizona and South Texas is at a similar latitude to Florida and all these locations get hot during swim season. If I had the chance, I would ask this pool store guy "So what kind of sun situation does Texas have that's different from AZ or FL?" :roll:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Shaking head, all the pool know how on this forum and you folks still don't know about different areas of the country having different kinds of sunlight!

Areas of the US where they are still piping in sunlight, the EPA requires special UV Light Filters be installed in the duct work!

They haven't figured out how to filter the UV Light Rays in areas without the duct work yet, so yea some places have different sunlight than others.

I think it all has to do with the "Global Warmiing" thing, but don't quote me on that.

Hope you got a laugh or at least a big grin!

The other day I went to one of our local pool stores again and learned that they now carry 12% chlorine. That is new this year, and the guy said it was because so many people have asked for it. I then asked if they have liquid stabilizer (I like instant results so would pay a lot to have liquid instead of granular). He scoffed. Actually scoffed, audibly, and said "I've never been much of a stabilizer guy." So there you go - apparently I won't be buying my CYA in liquid form any time soon. But on the plus-side, Nebraska seems to have joined the same solar system as Arizona and Florida!

Online stores seem to be the best source for silicone lube. Boss 820 is a good lube at a good price. Silicone spray lubricant works well for removing old gunked up lube. You can find silicone spray lubricant at most hardware stores.

Orange-Sol de-solv-it contractor's solvent works well as a general purpose cleaner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.