TA way out of whack

jst81

Jun 24, 2012
So been a few weeks now since dupped by pool store, been using the BBB method suggested by several folks here along with "pool calculator" , however testing water every day and TA is way high, while others are within range,

yesterday
FC 1.8
PH 8.2
TA 290
CYA 30
so yesterday added weight wise 22 oz dry acid ( all I had left),

this a.m added 32 oz of muratic acid
FC 1.4
PH 7.7
TA over 300
CYA 30

10,000 gallon fiberglass pool, I read pool school , "There are two reasons to lower your total alkalinity (TA) right away, because you want to slow down the rate that the PH rises, or if high TA is contributing to a high calcium saturation index (CSI) which puts you at risk of calcium scaling. You shouldn't lower TA just to reach a target number. Make sure you actually have one of the above issues before lowering your TA. ""

, but this cannot be good having it this high?, this morning also now have began to aerate via roman fountains, muratic acid

should I be concerned ?

thanks

Dattia's right. First things first, get that FC up. With a CYA of 30, you never want to let it below 2. Dose it to 5 or 6 so that when it falls it won't fall below 2.

Second, if you follow the aeration process in pool school, you'll have relatively low pH throughout the process which will keep the CSI low. Use muriatic acid to lower pH to 7.2, then aerate with the fountain. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Can you put your pool specs in your signature line?

1. Get your FC up and keep it up. FC should be 3-5ppm

2. Keep your pH under control. 7.4 is best but never 8.0.

3. increase your CYA to around 50ppm

4. When 1-3 are complete and you are making daily additions of FC to keep chlorine between 3-5ppm, then you can address lowering your TA. There is an article in Pool School that will tell you exactly how to do it. TA should be addressed after 1-3 have been complete for a couple of days at least.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.