tank overflowing on infinty pool

Jul 7, 2012
Québec, Canada
We are having a new infinity pool installed. However, at the moment there seems to be a problem with the water overflowing out of the big tank.
There is a big blue tank that is about 1.5m wide x 1m tall that has a ball valve in it like in a toilet.
Then there is the pump and a smaller red filter, which I assume is the sand filter.

As soon as you fill the system up with too much water, the water just starts running out of the overflow valve from the blue tank.
I have left it on circulation for the moment.

Do you have nay ideas what I should do?
What does the blue tank do, do I need to isolate this from the rest and just have it running from the red sand filter?

Welcome to TFP!

It is difficult to tell from your description just what is happening. Typically on an infinity pool there is the main pool, a trough down at the bottom of the wall, and a tank at the same level as the trough. The trough and the tank between them need to hold enough water to handle the depth difference in the main pool when the overflow is running. To put that another way, when the overflow pump is running there still needs to be a little water in the tank, but when the pump is not running all the water the is "in transit" with the pump running has to fit in the tank.

Meanwhile there should be an auto fill system that adds water when the tank is low on water, and there should also be an overflow system that drains off excess water so the trough does not overflow. Those two systems should be calibrated so the overflow doesn't trigger until there is a fair bit more water in the system than there is when the autofill system is running.

I can't tell from your description if the pool was simply overfilled to begin with (no big deal), or if the autofill and overflow are both running at the same time (a problem).

So it sounds like I need to adjust the ball valve so that it turns off the water inlet earlier and doesn't overflow?
How can I adjust the ball valve (like in toilets) - is there a srew to adjust it with?

What's the overflow pump? To me it looks like the autofill and overflow are on at the same time, just a tiny amount is coming out...I'll try and get a picture up of the existing setup...
Could it also be that the big blue tank isn't quite level? Water flows to overflow before ball valve shuts off?

What happens is that I change the valve in the 1st picture and the blue tank immediately starts to go lower, the pool fills up and flows over the sides into the trough, but then the blue tank starts to fill up again from the water inlet, after about 5 mins, a little bit of water starts to come out of the exit pipe and keeps coming out.

Edit: also, when someone dives into the pool and sloshes water off the negative edge, the trough catches everything but then a whole load of water comes out of the blue tank's escape pipe.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Bama Rambler said:
It sounds like either the float valve is set way too high or it's in the wrong place. Can you post a pic of the valve?

In the 2nd picture, it shows the exit pipe on the right top of blue tank.
The inlet valve is on the left hand side at same height.
Do you mean the actual ball float on the inside of the blue tank?

By the way... you don't get to tell us you're getting an infinity pool and only show us photos of pumps. We wanna see it all. So get crackin on some uploads so we can feel all jelly over your pool (as my 14yo says). :~}

p.s. - you may solve your issue first. But then get crackin~!

Reactions: Jmerges
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.