False pH test

tlwilson

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 15, 2010
Nebraska
I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Two nights in a row I tested pH and got 7.2. I didn't believe it and immediately tested again using water from the same sample and got 7.6. A third test showed 7.6. I rinsed the tube each time before testing with the sample water. I am careful when I test, (unlike the teenager at the pool store!) How can results be so different from the same bottle of sample water?

I'm happy with 7.2 to 7.6, but it is almost never on the lower end unless I add MA and then it goes back up pink in a week. I have a hard time distinguishing the pinks, so I don't know if it is 7.8 or 8.0. My TA is 80 and stays there. I bought a new bottle of regeant 2 months ago. Also, the water bottle I'm using doesn't have a top for squirting it. It's just a capped top. I use 12.5% liquid chlorine and pool life is good. The water is so clear I saw a 1" silver clip on the bottom that blew into the pool.
Additional numbers:
FC 4.5
CC 0
CYA 40

I'm not stressing about the pH, just trying to perfect my technique. Thanks to you kind people on troublefreepool.com, I am in control of my pool. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.