Copper levels creeping up w/ Intex Krystal Clear SWG CS8111

jlbtjb

Jun 18, 2012
We have had our pool up for about 3 weeks now, and our manual says that the copper readings should be between 0.1 and 0.2 ppm using the Intex CS8111 Krystal Clear SWG. Our readings started around 0.1 and are now up to 0.3. Since copper doesn't dissipate over time, it seems like the copper level is just going to keep rising since copper is generated along with the chlorine each day. At what point does it become unsafe for my kids to swim in, and when it reaches that point, is there anything safe that I can do short of partially draining the pool and refilling to lower the copper levels?

Re: Copper levels creeping up w/ Intex Krystal Clear SWG CS8

Supposedly this SWG generates copper to prevent algae. If we unplug the cable, will we need to add something to the pool to prevent algae, and will unplugging the cable void the warranty on the SWG? Thanks for your help.

If you maintain proper chlorine levels to what your CYA level is then you will not get algae. Copper is not needed, besides...you already have plenty in the water at this point. The cord should just unplug, nothing to cut or damage so should not affect warranty. How would Intex even know you unplugged it?

MikeinNH beat me, but here is my take...

jlbtjb said:
Supposedly this SWG generates copper to prevent algae.
Yes and stains pool surfaces and turns blonde hair green. Algaecides (copper being one of the worst) are not needed when the appropriate level of chlorine is used.

I have the same swg and unplugged the copper electrodes day 1. It is easy to do, just unscrew the connector nut and pull the plug. I highly doubt it would void the warranty since copper production is only done when the "boost" button is pressed (as far as I am aware) and not a daily function.

Thanks for all the kind responses. According to Intex, "the Saltwater System generates a small amount of copper ions during its daily chlorine production. The copper ion output during normal operating production is about 3% of the copper produced from the “Boost” cycle." Since I don't want the copper level to keep rising (is already at 0.3 ppm), I will ask my husband about disconnecting the copper electrodes. MikeInNH, you mentioned that we shouldn't need an algaecide if we maintain our chlorine at a level appropriate to the amount of CYA that we have. Yesterday, FC tested at 1.8 ppm and CYA at 64. Should this be OK?

jlbtjb said:
Thanks for all the kind responses. According to Intex, "the Saltwater System generates a small amount of copper ions during its daily chlorine production. The copper ion output during normal operating production is about 3% of the copper produced from the “Boost” cycle."
Where did you find that intex statement? I looked at your manual and could not find it.

jlbtjb said:
Since I don't want the copper level to keep rising (is already at 0.3 ppm), I will ask my husband about disconnecting the copper electrodes.
Definetly unplug the electrodes, it takes all of 10 seconds. The only way to drop it is to do a drain/refill...but if it is not causing problems for hair and the pool surface, I would just leave it.

jlbtjb said:
MikeInNH, you mentioned that we shouldn't need an algaecide if we maintain our chlorine at a level appropriate to the amount of CYA that we have. Yesterday, FC tested at 1.8 ppm and CYA at 64. Should this be OK?
Use pool calculator recommended FC level for swg for your 64 ppm cya...which is an FC of 3 minimum. I would raise up to the level using bleach/liquid chlorine then let the swg take over.

I found the statement on the Intex FAQ site ("When the Intex Saltwater System is producing chlorine under daily operating conditions, will it also produce copper ions?"):

http://www.intexcorp.com/index.php/faq/ ... ord=copper

Since the pool calculator recommends 3 ppm FC for my CYA level, I am assuming it would recommend a lower FC level if my CYA level was higher. If so, would it be better to raise the CYA instead so that a lower FC level is required?

Thanks again for all of your responses. This is a wonderful site especially for a first time pool owner who is still learning about proper pool care.

Yeah, I see that general statement in their FAQs. Well better safe than sorry and just remove the connections.

jlbtjb said:
Since the pool calculator recommends 3 ppm FC for my CYA level, would it recommend a lower FC level if my CYA level was higher? If so, would it be better to raise the CYA instead so that a lower FC level is required?
Our recommendation for cya level is 70-80. Once you get to the level you want your FC level to be 3-4 respectively. This is a minimum, you want to be above this.

This is a bit confusing, but at higher cya levels you need to hold a slightly higher FC level, but end up using less chlorine (less hours of swg production) due to you chlorine being better protected from the sun. Again, use bleach/LC to get up to your minimum and then let the swg take it from there.

I have had the Intex SWG CS 81110 since the middle of May and disconnected the connector for the copper ionizer right when I first started using it.Easy to unhook takes about 10 seconds,SWG works great even thru the 100 degree heat we just had here just ran it alittle longer then normal. We have had an Intex pool for 10 years now and I found TFP this spring and with their help and the SWG my pool has never looked so good.even still using the original filter cartridge I started with in May, and yes with the copper ionizer hooked up it poroduces copper anytime its running. jlbtlb just take there advice here and you will have an easier time maintaining your pool and good luck and welcome

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.