I am starting to hate this thing!

Apr 30, 2008
So, my IN LAWS bought my kids and wife a 18' x 4' easy up pool (about 5,547 gallons according to box) but guess who needs to do the maintenance and upkeep? Anyhow, I am having issues and it is only a few days old. Got it up and filled. Swam in it the next day untreated. (Fresh hose water, did it matter?). Anyhow, the same day, I added a gallon of ultra bleach. Did a test reading the next morning and chlorine was still LIGHT yellow (about .5) Added shock. Tested it the next morning (today) and chlorine is OFF THE CHART (orange). So it will die off over time correct?

I also added stabilizer the same day as shock. But the granduals did not disolve. I noticed this morning there is a lot of it sitting at the bottom of the pool. I use the brush to move it around. Is it sitting there bad?

And finally, I noticed parts of the bottom liner (over where I put the chems in) that the color is altered from blue to green. Looks to be a chem burn or something. Is it just a stain or will it make the pool "pop".

And the pool is FREEZING! is the solar panels worth it?

I have noticed in MANY posts, everyone asks for numbers and says a good tester is needed. My numbers are (I think)

CL-5+
CYA - enough added to raise it to 20ppm but not showing up on test yet
ALK 180 so added some PH minus
PH 8 so added some PH minus

I have a cheapy tester from walmart. I just bought a electric tester for PH and CL through ebay (somewhat color blind so trying to figure out the color code is not working!) I can not afford to buy another tester or a new pump or a new maintenance kit which I seem to see a LOT of recommendations for. Can someone help. I am close to popping "the bubble" and saying a dog did it so I dont need to bother with it. Does someone have any ideas to help me?

(I am not trying to be grouchy. I work 16+ hours a day and now my little free time is trying to maintain a pool, I cant even swim!) Thanks for any help!

The experts here will attest to the fact that chemicals left to settle on the pool floor or surface can and will damage the pool. Vinyl liners are not immune to this problem and can change colors and weaken when chemicals are allowed to sit. A good rule of thumb is to predilute your chems in a bucket with pool water and make sure it dissolves prior to adding it to the pool. After adding the chems, brush the pool walls and floor to mix well. IF your pool has a pump, make sure that the pump runs for at least an hour or so after adding the chems.

Craig

I do not have an intex, nor have I ever had one. But one thing seems to be certain. Having a proper pump and filter will go a long way towards making your maintenance tasks easier. A good test kit is key to doing this maintenance yourself. Knowing about water chemistry will help alot in determining what to do with your results.

Now, if you work over 16 hours a day, then I would say that you don't have time to work on the pool. So, have you given any thought to a Salt Water Generator?

I feel that a SWG and a pump/filter upgrade would kill alot of your headaches. Check Craigslist for a pump and filter, you may get one for free...

My theory on the Intex pools (we used to have a 15 footer) is that you should never use any powdered chemicals in them except CYA if you can possibly avoid it. The shallow depth makes the floor prone to damage, and the filter and pump aren't adequate to clear the water after the chemicals are added.

Ok, first, welcome!

Secondly, the pump/filter on the Intex pools ARE woefully inadequate. However, you can have a nice pool too, you will just have to be more consistent in your testing and maintenance. ((Get a few spare cartridges now, as they will probably be scarce by the end of the season, and one will not last all summer.))

Third, the test kit. Again, what you have is inadequate, but workable. What brand is the 'fancy' one you bought off ebay?

Your shock (I assume granules) sitting on the bottom has bleached your liner. Not to worry, you can always patch if it creates a hole later on. Lesson learned! :)

CYA takes up to a week to dissolve. Keep brushing it around. Don't bother testing it for a week.

Use Jason's calculator in my signature to help you know how much of a chemical to add. You will need to test and add bleach every evening. (evening is better so the sun will not destroy the chlorine.) Let the filter run at least an hour. With a CYA of 20, if that is where you end up, you need to keep your chlorine between 2-5.

Testing and adding bleach takes <5 minutes a day!! add a few minutes a week for skimming and cleaning the cartridges, and you are looking at around 45 minutes weekly!! not bad for all the enjoyment it will bring to your family!

When I had an intex pool, I ran the filter 24/7 and cleaned the cartridge every few days.

Don't pop the pool!!! we can help you figure this out!

And for next year, consider investing in a good test kit. It really will save you money in the long run!!

Thanks for the advice and help. I noticed after a little while of having my hand in the pool, there was a slight burn sensation. Can this be from the acid? Or the SUPER high chlorine. I normally add bleach at sunset and the pool stays covered everyday except for weekends so I am sure bleach consumtion will be minimal NOW but I know once summer hits and it is uncovers 24/7 then it will be different.

The hose that goes from my pool INTO the pump is caved in and I can not correct it. Is that common because of the sucking of the pump or is there poor circulation. If I had the money, I would buy a LARGE pump, heater and good tester but money is not my friend right now :(

Welcome to TFP!

Know you are busy, but reading the "Stickies" (link in my signature) will help you get a handle on your chemicals.

It really isn't difficult. Once you understand the process, 5 minutes a day will have you covered :)

Someone will be along shortly to address the 'hose' problem. :wink:

regarding the hose, is there strong flow from the return (back into the pool?) It is the accordion-looking flex hose, correct?

Can your cartridges be inserted upside down? I don't remember them having a top or bottom... Did you bleed the air out of the filter?

People who get their first pool have NO idea how much work they are....at minimum about twice as much work as mowing and taking care of a descent sized lawn. You have to make it a labor of love and/or transfer the smiles on your kids faces to equate the sweat.

Otherwise, you really have to pay a pool guy to do all the work.

After about six months you will not notice the time gone anymore. ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
barco said:
People who get their first pool have NO idea how much work they are....at minimum about twice as much work as mowing and taking care of a descent sized lawn. You have to make it a labor of love and/or transfer the smiles on your kids faces to equate the sweat.

Actually to properly maintain a pool only really takes about 5 minutes a day. If it's taking more effort than that you are doing it wrong! It's not rocket science, you just need to learn the basics--which is what this site is all about! Just about ANYONE can take care of their pool better and for less money than the pool guy can!

Twice as much effort as mowing the lawn? :shock: Are you including swimming time in that estimate? If that were the case, I would fill my pool in with dirt and mow over it. :lol:

I don't spend more than an hour a week total on the pool, accept when I clean the swg cell or the filter cartriges, and each of those are only a few times a year. Heck, I sometimes wish my entire backyard were pool and deck so I wouldn't have anything to mow at all. :wink:

barco said:

I don't have an automatic cleaner, and my pool is nowhere near that kind of work.

At the risk of further hijacking this thread, I have to add my $0.02.

I'm spending between six and 10 hours a week on our pool. Most of this time is spent vacuuming the pool and washing the solar cover. Both need to be done every day if we want to swim. Our pool collects and unbelievable amount of dust, pollen, leaves, flower petals, twigs, mice, birds, as well as the occasional squirrel. I'm convinced there a vortex in the space-time continuum which funnels all debris within a file mile radius into the pool. Checking and adding chemicals does take five or 10 minutes. But the vacuuming and washing take at between 40 and 90 min.

I can only guess that those who spend five minutes a day have a robot cleaner and no cover.

Right now for me it's 5 minutes a day and a couple hours each weekend. I don't have a robotic cleaner and my plaster is shot so brushing is a challenge. I have to vacuum it manually and it's a decent sized pool (16x32). The 10ft deep end doesn't help.

Exchemist said:
At the risk of further hijacking this thread, I have to add my $0.02.

I'm spending between six and 10 hours a week on our pool. Most of this time is spent vacuuming the pool and washing the solar cover. Both need to be done every day if we want to swim. Our pool collects and unbelievable amount of dust, pollen, leaves, flower petals, twigs, mice, birds, as well as the occasional squirrel. I'm convinced there a vortex in the space-time continuum which funnels all debris within a file mile radius into the pool. Checking and adding chemicals does take five or 10 minutes. But the vacuuming and washing take at between 40 and 90 min.

I can only guess that those who spend five minutes a day have a robot cleaner and no cover.

I spend <5 min a day. I go check to make sure water is moving, and then I add my chlorine. on the saturday I brush the walls, and with the wall whale, it only takes <5 min to do that as well. the most time consuming part for me is after I mow, I have to go skim all the grass out.

It takes me ~1-1.5 hours to mow my front and back yard, then another 30 to edge and clean up, so <45 min for the pool, 1.5-2 hours on the lawn...maybe he got it backwards, the pool should only take less than half the time the lawn takes.

Once I removed the oak tree that was hanging over the pool, maintenance has dropped about 1,000% :-D The Polaris 280 makes sure that the bottom is clean and the 60 SF DE filter keeps the water sparkling clear.

The wall whale brush is AWESOME, especially on a deep pool. Brushing the 9-foot deep end was a chore before my wife spotted that thing at the pool store. All we have to do now is push the pole down the sides. The whale tail keeps the brush planted firmly against the plaster!

HarryH3 said:
Once I removed the oak tree that was hanging over the pool, maintenance has dropped about 1,000% :-D The Polaris 280 makes sure that the bottom is clean and the 60 SF DE filter keeps the water sparkling clear.

The wall whale brush is AWESOME, especially on a deep pool. Brushing the 9-foot deep end was a chore before my wife spotted that thing at the pool store. All we have to do now is push the pole down the sides. The whale tail keeps the brush planted firmly against the plaster!

It's official, I'm getting a wall whale!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.