So, my IN LAWS bought my kids and wife a 18' x 4' easy up pool (about 5,547 gallons according to box) but guess who needs to do the maintenance and upkeep? Anyhow, I am having issues and it is only a few days old. Got it up and filled. Swam in it the next day untreated. (Fresh hose water, did it matter?). Anyhow, the same day, I added a gallon of ultra bleach. Did a test reading the next morning and chlorine was still LIGHT yellow (about .5) Added shock. Tested it the next morning (today) and chlorine is OFF THE CHART (orange). So it will die off over time correct?
I also added stabilizer the same day as shock. But the granduals did not disolve. I noticed this morning there is a lot of it sitting at the bottom of the pool. I use the brush to move it around. Is it sitting there bad?
And finally, I noticed parts of the bottom liner (over where I put the chems in) that the color is altered from blue to green. Looks to be a chem burn or something. Is it just a stain or will it make the pool "pop".
And the pool is FREEZING! is the solar panels worth it?
I have noticed in MANY posts, everyone asks for numbers and says a good tester is needed. My numbers are (I think)
CYA - enough added to raise it to 20ppm but not showing up on test yet
ALK 180 so added some PH minus
PH 8 so added some PH minus
I have a cheapy tester from walmart. I just bought a electric tester for PH and CL through ebay (somewhat color blind so trying to figure out the color code is not working!) I can not afford to buy another tester or a new pump or a new maintenance kit which I seem to see a LOT of recommendations for. Can someone help. I am close to popping "the bubble" and saying a dog did it so I dont need to bother with it. Does someone have any ideas to help me?
(I am not trying to be grouchy. I work 16+ hours a day and now my little free time is trying to maintain a pool, I cant even swim!) Thanks for any help!