Is it ok to add more than drop at a time to the FAS-DPD test

Jun 26, 2009
Derry, ME
Since I have a high CYA value (currently 70 but trying to get it down) I have to maintain around 10ppm of FC.
This equals 20 drops of the FAS-DPD reagent. I don't have the fancy swirling machine so instead of swirling between each drop, I put 5 in, swirl, 5 more, swirl, than start swirling every 2 drops unil I see it start to see the test sample start to clear up. Is this affecting the accuracy of the test by doing it this way (instead of swirling after every drop)?

Re: Is it ok to add more than drop at a time to the FAS-DPD

Just make sure that the drops are well-formed when you add them. If you squeeze too hard and have the drops come out too quickly, then they will be smaller drops and that will affect the result making it artificially too high. Also be careful about static electricity which can make the drops "squirt" out. Y'all know what a good-looking drop looks like when you see one...

Re: Is it ok to add more than drop at a time to the FAS-DPD

Agree on well formed drops. I know where my fc is around so I add 6 full drops and then go from there for my target of 5. Just make sure you swirl really well for a few seconds after the big dose of titrant.

You're doing a titration. Keeping the solution thoroughly mixed is the key. Takes me maybe 5 seconds to get it all mixed up on this test. It's the easiest one.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.