Where to purchase bleach

Oct 22, 2007
Michigan
I know all the familiar places, Walmart, Meijer, etc (whatever is having the best sale :)). I have heard that there are places that you can get 10% or greater concentrations. Has anyone found other places that sell higher concentrations (chemical sales, etc.), with potential cost and storage savings? I also bad about having to recycle all those bottles. Thanks.

Check your local pool stores. My local pool store sells 12.5% chlorinating liquid and has good turnover so it's always at full strength every time I've bought it. They also reuse the containers so you pay a small deposit (50 cents per bottle and $2 for the milk carton crate that holds 4 bottles) and then when you're done with a bottle you return it and get a new one. So this is better than recycling. Not counting the deposit, they charge $3.60 per gallon which is equivalent to $1.33 for a 96 ounce jug of 6% bleach (e.g. Clorox Regular or off-brand Ultra). So it's roughly comparably priced to the bleach in my area unless I go to a big box store that has bleach on sale, but I'd rather pay more for the bottle reuse. I also only use at most around 1 gallon per week so around $14 per month.

Pool store in my area has the best deals. 2.4 gals of 10.5% for $3.99 plus a frequent card that after 10 purchases 11th free. That's another 10% off price when you do the math. Also, sometimes they run a buy 2 get 1 free. I calculated that once to around $.53 a gal of regular strenghth bleach. Now that's a bargain. Of course I have three containers that cost me $6.00 each but they buy them back if I want to return them.

^^ I wish more pool stores would get on the liquid chlorine wagon around here, but they know they can make much more money off the dichlor/trichlor CYA dance, so they push those.

If anyone knows of a chain type pool store or power washing/farm equipment place that does this kind of recycling or refilling, maybe they have one in my area.

When I Googled "Houston chlorinating liquid", the first link is to the following source of chlorinating liquid called DIXICHLOR MAX. They say that it has 11.9% available chlorine but that would be equivalent to a Trade % of 13.8% which seems high. I suspect that the 11.9% they are quoting is really a trade %. In any event, it's in the ballpark of typical chlorinating liquid.

DPC Industries Inc. P.O. Box 24600, Houston, TX 77229
Telephone: 281 457-4888

There is also the following:

Global Treat, Inc.
Phone: 1.800.370.4410

though it seems that they provide feeder systems, not chlorine itself, but I'm sure they know of sources of chlorinating liquid in your area.

Richard

thanks rich, I'll give those places a try.

I don't need any for a little while....I stocked up when it was on sale at grocery store, $1/96oz clorox, got 90 bottles at the time, still have a good 70 and a rain check good for another 50. and since 6% has a shelf life of almost 250 days even in 90* temps, I'm good until half way through summer, at least. btw, the clorox is kept in a 75* environment, a back room in my house that is a/c'ed.

chemgeek,

Is the local store that you are buying 12.5% chlorinating liquid a Leslie's? I have been buying 2 gallon of 10% for $6 at Orchard Supply Hardware, but they recently raised the price to $6.50.

For some reason, we don't seem to have many pool stores around our area except for Leslie's. :roll:

Off-topic rant about Leslie's: I asked the local Leslie's if they carried the FAS-DPD test for chlorine (actually I asked if they carried the "powder test for chlorine" in order to keep it simple for them. Said they had never heard of it. THEN I find out through the Leslie's website that Leslie's carries a rebranded Taylor kit!?!

Off-topic praise about Leslie's: They did come through for me last week in that they had in stock the skimmer "float valve assembly" that I needed. Good for them. Although they did have the darn thing about $10 higher than it should have been. Bad for them.

Titanium

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Clorox outdoor bleach contains additives other than just plain bleach. They don't list what exactly is added, something to thicken it and some kind of corrosion fighter. It isn't a good idea to add things to the pool that aren't well understood, so I would stay away from the outdoor bleach and all of their Plus line (which have extra things added).

Titanium said:
chemgeek,

Is the local store that you are buying 12.5% chlorinating liquid a Leslie's? I have been buying 2 gallon of 10% for $6 at Orchard Supply Hardware, but they recently raised the price to $6.50.

For some reason, we don't seem to have many pool stores around our area except for Leslie's. :roll:

Off-topic rant about Leslie's: I asked the local Leslie's if they carried the FAS-DPD test for chlorine (actually I asked if they carried the "powder test for chlorine" in order to keep it simple for them. Said they had never heard of it. THEN I find out through the Leslie's website that Leslie's carries a rebranded Taylor kit!?!

Off-topic praise about Leslie's: They did come through for me last week in that they had in stock the skimmer "float valve assembly" that I needed. Good for them. Although they did have the darn thing about $10 higher than it should have been. Bad for them.

Titanium
Titanium,

The Leslie's online kit is shown here and is identical to the Taylor K-2006 kit. You can get this at a lower online price here. Of course, there's also the TF100 kit from tftestkits.com here that has 36% more volume of reagents so is comparably priced "per test" to the cheapest online price Taylor K-2006 kit. The contents of the TF100 and differences to the K-2006 are listed here.

The pool store where I get my chlorinating liquid is not a Leslie's. It's a local pool store (Herb's Pool Service), not a chain, and services much of the North Bay (north of San Francisco). The price is $3.65 per gallons for 12.5% which would be equivalent to $2.92 per gallon for 10% or $1.35 for a 96 ounce (3/4 gallon) jug of 6% bleach (which is really 6.17 "Trade" %).

Richard

JasonLion said:
Clorox outdoor bleach contains additives other than just plain bleach. They don't list what exactly is added, something to thicken it and some kind of corrosion fighter. It isn't a good idea to add things to the pool that aren't well understood, so I would stay away from the outdoor bleach and all of their Plus line (which have extra things added).

Thanks! I didn't buy it, was thinking it might be cost effective, but will pass!

chemgeek,

Thanks for your reply.

So Orchard Supply is a little more expensive at $3.25 per gallon for the 10% chlorinating liquid, but not that much more than the $2.92 you are paying at Herb's. Although the part about Herb's reusing the containers is nice.

Perhaps I will try and call the smaller shops around the area in Pleasanton or Danville or Livermore.

Titanium

Titanium said:
chemgeek,

Thanks for your reply.

So Orchard Supply is a little more expensive at $3.25 per gallon for the 10% chlorinating liquid, but not that much more than the $2.92 you are paying at Herb's. Although the part about Herb's reusing the containers is nice.

Perhaps I will try and call the smaller shops around the area in Pleasanton or Danville or Livermore.

Titanium

Titanium

I live in Modesto and have found both Lowe's and Home Depot carry the "kemtek" (I think that's the one). 10% solution in 2X1 gal boxes for about $6.50. Unfortunately you end up throwing them away. I'm guessing the Lowe's around Dublin/Pleasanton would also have them.

If you're up for the drive over the Altamont - the Aqua Pool store there at the intersection of 120 and 99 has the HASA reuseable/returnable nominal 12% stuff. They sell it for $12.00 for a 4X1 container with a one-time deposit of $7.00. It's fairly convenient for me so I'm going that route.

If you go to the HASA website, they have a listing of dealers that carry their products. When I looked through it, it seemed to me that there were quite a few listed in the "northern california" area which should serve the Bay Area.

HASA website

I've been buying 5 gallon drums of 12.5% chlorinating liquid for $10 each from my local Ace Hardware. I'm not sure if all Aces carry it or not, but mine has been for the past 4-5 years at least. There is a one time deposit on the drums.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.