First time poster with a problem

Jul 6, 2012
Hello, ive been looking for a pool forum for awhile and it looks like ive found one! By the way my name is Daniel. So here my problem, i recently bought a house that has an above ground pool, its pretty big id say its 50ft. Well recently i went to back wash the filter and after switching the handle thats on top the filter, i went to turn the pump back on to begin back washing the filter. Well the pump never turned back on. It makes a somewhat loud humming noise than stops. If i leave it on it will make that noise again 10-15 seconds later. So i recently took the pump apart from the part where the second stage basket is, so i could see if there was possilbly something stuck in the propeller(impeller?), while there was some blockage (nothing major), i could still move the propeller. I have no idea what brand the pump is, all the labels on it have been bleached off by the sun. Any ideas? it was running before i turned that handle on top the sand filter to back wash it, could that be the issue? Im trying to save myself from having to by another pump. Thanks in advance, D.G

Thanks yeah I was kinda hoping it was something dumb like i maybe a switch or something like that. I'll post some pictures when I get home. Hopefully someone has had a similar issue. Maybe someone can tell me how large of a pump a 50ft circular above ground pool would need? Like If I need to replace it so I can weigh my options.

I am making a random guess here but it sounds like maybe you closed off the outlet of the filter. The motor is attempting to push the water through the filer and back into the pool. If the valve is closed, the pressure is high and the motor is getting hot and its internal overload or a temp-switch is shutting the motor off. It will reset itself and try again... with the same results.

You moved the valve to backwash... does the backwash piping exist or it blocked off? Do it have another valve in the backwash line? I know my filter has a valve in the filter's backwash location but I have no piping. I need to attach a backwash hose to it before using it...or I can backwash onto the ground by the pool.

Is it possible the backwash line were cut and capped off somewhere else?

Check your valves and try again.

2c5aa2b8.jpg

36a46159.jpg

2f0ed809.jpg

techguy said:
I am making a random guess here but it sounds like maybe you closed off the outlet of the filter. The motor is attempting to push the water through the filer and back into the pool. If the valve is closed, the pressure is high and the motor is getting hot and its internal overload or a temp-switch is shutting the motor off. It will reset itself and try again... with the same results.

You moved the valve to backwash... does the backwash piping exist or it blocked off? Do it have another valve in the backwash line? I know my filter has a valve in the filter's backwash location but I have no piping. I need to attach a backwash hose to it before using it...or I can backwash onto the ground by the pool.

Is it possible the backwash line were cut and capped off somewhere else?

Check your valves and try again.

Well I tried plugging it in with the propeller showing and it won't spin so I think it's something in pump

It looks like the impeller is full of leaves. Do this mean the outlet of the pump, the hose between the pump and filter and filter inlet are also full of leaves?

Can you move/rotate the impeller by hand?

Yeah there was leaves and such stuck in the impeller outlets. But from what i can see nothing else was/is clogged with debris. I can move the impeller by hand. I keep saltwater aquariums as a hobby so im somewhat familiar with external pumps ( ie pool style pumps) and i know their not supposed to be run without water cause they will over heat. Im wondering if maybe the impeller was clogged and it caused the motor to burn up/overheat. Im beginning to wonder if im better off buying a new pump... Obviously the previous owner ran the pump with out having the second basket in....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also as a side note the electrical panel on the side of the motor where you would wire the motor up, appears to have been cracked then silicone was applied to cover the crack. Possible moisture? i live in LOUISIANA extremely humid. Also this pump is very loud! As loud as my Central AC unit

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.