Northville, Mi
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I'm kind of in a pinch and figured I'd just get Leslie's DPD kit (vs waiting for tf-100 to be delivered, etc). Will that kit be okay enough? Or is the FAS-DPD kit really necessary for my situation (where I'm going to want to stay around 3ppm).

If the test kit includes the DPD powder based CL test, it will meet your needs. If it uses an OTO based CL test, it is not able to accurately measure your chlorine levels during the shocking process. The OTO is a great daily test but when you need to raise your CL above 5 PPM, the OTO will not let you know if you have an 8 PPM CL level or an 18 PPM CL level and this information is required during problem solving. The FAS_DPD will easily be able to tell you have an 8.0 ppm FC and 0.0 ppm CC or an 8.5 ppm FC with 1.0 CC. The first of these is a good result for a clean, sanitized pool while the second indicates you need to shock your pool and you may have a green pool you don't address it soon.

Both the FAS_DPD test and the OTO will be effective at 3 ppm, but if you get a cloudy or green pool, the OTO will become nearly useless. The powder-based test is crucial to maintain your pool. It is very easy to tell if the kit in the store is what you want. If you have a small jar of pink/white crystals inside the box and a small blue scoop, you will have the test you need. I use both tests, OTO daily and the other once a week.

Leslie's sells several different kits. The only one we recommend specifically says "FAS-DPD". The regular DPD test kits, which are much more common, do not include the FAS-DPD chlorine test, which we consider essential.

Crud. I thought I had checked that out. Is it just that the regular DPD test won't measure higher concentrations of chlorine or that it's flat out not accurate enough, even at the 3ppm range of chlorine?

You can buy the reagents and vial needed to do the FAS-DPD to add to your kit but they will not fit in box. I also think you need a vial dedicated to this test. I don't know why but i seems that way.

In daily management it will work for you if nothing goes wrong and you don't have an algae bloom, however it is not sensitive enough to do the OCLT which is one early indication that you may have an algae problem before a full blown algae bloom, the second problem is it will not read high levels of FC which are needed when / if you have an algae bloom and need to shock. This all works out about like driving a car without brakes, you can get where your going if your careful, but the moment you need them and they are not there your likely going to have a problem.

Ike

techguy said:
You can buy the reagents and vial needed to do the FAS-DPD to add to your kit but they will not fit in box. I also think you need a vial dedicated to this test. I don't know why but i seems that way.

The Taylor vial and reagent will fit fine. The TFT ones will not, but Dave also sells the Taylor ones. They only have one model box for all the K-200X kits, which are the deluxe kits Leslie's sells relabeled. The extra vial is useful, but I think the large pH tube is marked for both 10 and 25ml. (Kit is out by the pool or I would look--I know it is for 25ml.) The risk is the FAS_DPD test might discolor your comparator, so a separate vial is preferred.I got the extra tube when I upgraded my ancient K-2000 with DPD test to a K-2006 equivalent, and the vial stores nicely in between the two tubes of the pH/DPD comparator.

I wasn't sue about the vial. I had the wm hth 6 way kit & then got the TF100. The TFT comes with the extra vial and just store the reagent drops inside the vial. I know you can get a kit itch another box but the parts can be purchased as refills for much less from Dave and Mazon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.