Buying a pool but which one? Easy Set vs. Ultra Frame

May 14, 2012
We are planning on purchasing a large above ground pool. I am looking for easy set up and low maintenance. I am leaning towards the Intex 15' x 48" Easy Set for $199 but am wondering if it is a better buy to get the 16' x 48" Ultra Frame for $399. Once again I am wanting easy maintenance so is it easier to get the Easy Set, drain and store or Ultra Frame, disassemble and store vs. leave standing and winterize.
Total pool newbie here. Thanks for any info!

Hi Saseegrl and welcome to TFP! :)
Your so lucky to have come here first before getting your pool setup and running! I went through a lot of expense and headache before I landed here!
I had a 15 X 48 frame pool the 1st 2 years, good pool once I adapted a bigger and better pump/filter system.
These frame pools do take a little more work to put up. The first year I did not use any pavers and with our Florida sand the pool did sink and lean some, 2nd year used pavers to set the legs on and no problems. I gave the pool to my son and he's using it now, all we needed was some new plastic pins as some of those broke, most likely from the 1st year from stress of leaning.
I personally don't like the look of the easy sets, but haven't owned one.
Save up for a TF-100 test kit and get one when your ready to setup the pool and have it running, the main reason I say this as this was a big mistake for me battling pool water chemistry with the very marginal pump/filter system they come with.
Get test kits here:
http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html
If I would have been better with the water chemistry the stock pump/filter might not have been so horrible to clean up my messy pool. Another great asset with a bigger pump/filter system was the ability have a vacuum system to clean up the junk that would accumulate on the bottom.
Read through Pool School link at the top of the page to help you understand water care.
IMO, skip the temporary pools start up if you get a TF-100 test kit, then you can just add and adjust what is just needed, much easier if you learn it this way and you'll have a lot of enjoyment with your pool right out of the gate!

Chuck

We've had our Ultra Frame for 3 years and we're very pleased with it. It's fairly easy to set up and takedown. I recommend a pump upgrade to the 2500 GPH pump, but it's not absolutely necessary. However, the salt water system is necessary, in my opinion. For these pools I think it's the best and easiest way to keep your pool chlorinated. And as the previous poster said, you've come to the right place before buying. Make sure your test kit arrives before the pool is filled and read and understand pool school. If you have questions don't be afraid to ask; the people here love to help and they really do have all the answers! I've been lurking for quite some time and I've gained an incredible amount of knowledge. Get the test kit, get the Ultra Frame, understand Pool School and you'll be a very happy pool owner!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.