Concrete slope question

Aug 22, 2007
Powhatan VA
The weather is finally cooperating and I am grading around the pool preparing for concrete. The contractor I have been talking to said I should only have 1/4 inch slope from the edge of the pool to the outside edge of the concrete, no matter the width. I am getting 8' on two sides and 5' on two sides. Is this slope correct ? It seems to be cutting things a little close. I'm not even sure I can get it that close. :shock:

As always, thanks for the help. :)

Our installers said they went for 1/8" per foot of decking. I have seen some deck coatings that require/recommend more slope, but this has worked well for us.

First of all you are correct in your assumption that he could not maintain that tolerance and that will lead to ponding then staining IF you are saying that he recomends a total of 1/4" fall but i believe he is refering to 1/4" fall per foot and that would be just fine.

What you do want to see at least 1/8” per foot, at 8 feet that will equal one inch and 1/4" would be two inches.

That may seem like a lot but you will never notice when it is poured.

This will facilitate drainage and help eliminate ponding in low spots.

Think of it this way the IBC code contains requirements for drainage and grading in Section 1803.3 and 1805.3.4.
These requirements minimize the possibility of foundation failure due to poor drainage.
Section 1803.3 generally requires a 5% slope away from the building perimeter for a distance of 10 feet.

This does not apply here but it does illustrate the importance of achieving proper slope and how much is required.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies. I asked him specifically on the phone yesterday ' 1/4" per foot, or 1/4" total ? ' and he said 1/4 inch from pool to edge. I am going to shoot for 1.5 inches on the 8' sections and 1" on the 5' sections. I agree, I don't think it's going to be noticeable, even to the contractor.

Thanks. :)

We have at least 1/4 inch per foot when I had the concrete done for our pool....and I insisted on it. Yes its noticeable...but here in Texas when it rains, it can dump an inch every 15 minutes. And everything will be satuated within 30 minutes and will start to travel up hill if it can. Don't want any landscape, manure water in my pool.

The other thing you have to consider is the wind speed. If it's well covered at all sides, then it's OK. My roof slope of 30 degree have rain water travelling upward when the wind start to whip. I would prefer 1/4" per foot.

That guy is on drugs if he's recommending that you have 1/4" total fall in 8'!! That's crazy! We do a lot of commercial work and as the others said, 1/8" per foot is the industry standard minimum slope for flatwork. 1/4" per foot will shed water quicker. Like Barco I'm in Texas and we also went with 1/4" per foot. I'm glad we did because in some of the hard rains we'd have stuff washing into the pool if it was any less. One of our neighbors had minimal slope in their decking and mud would wash into their pool during really hard rains. They HATED it!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.