Brand new pool, help please :)

Jul 5, 2012
hi guys, this is my first post. my name is zak

pristine blue user here.. me and my mother just put in a pool about a week or two ago, realized our hair was turning green.. no good, we have no idea what to do

i was browsing the forum and noticed that most of you dislike the stuff greatly, so then i looked into things and saw baquacil, didnt see much good there either. any suggestions there? i'm assuming its just as bad if not worse

what should we do? get rid of pristine blue? convert to baquacil? something else? i noticed something about BBB.. how do you like that? is that a chlorinated procedure? we're open to ANY suggestions here we were trying to stay away from chlorine but i guess we'll do whatever it takes haha

please help! any suggestions will be taken.. thank you!!

Welcome to tfp, Krunk5928 :wave:

Not a lot of Pristine Blue fans here since it adds copper to your pool and copper can stain and cause blonde hair to turn green. You still need a sanitizer with it...either Chlorine, Bromine, and Biguanide(Baqua). Since you need a sanitizer anyways, why use the Pristine Blue in the first place.

Baqua can work but is expensive and prone to causing problems.

Bromine in a pool ends up costing more than chlorine and tends to have a smell that bothers some people.

Chlorine is really the best choice for a pool.

Why do you want to stay away from Chlorine?

thank you :) and no reason in particular.. just liked the idea of a non chlorinated pool

but you make a very valid point, whats the sense in using the pristine blue if thats the case.

so since we've only done one dose of pristine blue, can we convert to chlorine without having to drain our pool?

whats the best way to go about doing this?

How many ounces of the pristine blue did you add? Do you know your copper level? If you hair is turning green it may already be high. You could get it tested at the pool store...you/I would be hoping it is less than 0.3 ppm.

If there is significantly more than the 0.3, then a drain/refill is in order (I suspect it is due to your hair issue).

okay so my mom tested the pool, we dont have a fancy tester for all the numbers but what we do have is this

we have no chlorine, and no stabilizer

we do have a ph of 7.4 though and our copper level is .4

should we shock/chlorine our pool? then add stabilizer? or what should we do

Since you are already having the problems with your green hair, you will need to do a partial drain refill to lower the copper concentration in your pool, before you do much else.

Could you put your pool and equipment specs in your sig?

unfortunately us draining the pool is not an option we cannot afford to refill it, we've only added 1 doseage of the pristine blue, there has to be a way to do this without draining.. please help us lol..

i added my pool stats to my sig, if theres anything else you need to know i'd be happy to tell you anything you need to know

Hi Zak and welcome to TFP! :)
Since your a newbie, do lots of reading here at this TFP.com
All your answers are here about chlorine and more.
I have no experience with pool care other than chlorine system.
I did buy my copper kit with my TF-100 test kit here:
http://tftestkits.net/K-1730-Taylor-Cop ... t-p57.html
http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html

These test kits are the Snap-On tools of the trade for pool water chemistry.
Without them pool care is much harder to achieve.
Trouble Free Pool has made life very enjoyable with my family over our pool. (even got rid of the small pool and went bigger!)
My pool is very easy to care for now with the $30 college education I got here learning pool water chemistry.
I gave back to help this forum stay here for newbie's like you!
click-here-to-become-a-troublefreepool-com-supporter-t183.html
Read in Pool School link at the top right of the page.
It will take a little time to sink in, but it becomes very simple.
Post any questions you have and we can help you succeed with pool care as we have! :whoot:

Chuck

The issue is the copper already in your water. As you know, it stains hair. The only way to get copper concentration down is to dilute it. If you are willing to live with the possible hair issues and the potential for staining your pool, then you can skip the drain/refill and start using the BBB method.

yeah i tried explaining that to my mom, she wont listen. she thinks if she adds chlorine and shock to the pool the copper is going to magically disappear and everythings going to be honky dory. thank you for your help though man i'm just gonna let her do what she wants

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
8corneflakes said:
quite the opposite from what I learned. Our hair turns greener when we shock the water. I've been battling this since we opened our pool this spring.
You have some type of metal in your water, whether it is copper or iron, metals cause the green hair, not the chlorine. You should have it tested for type and amount.

got it tested at three places because I don't have a copper test. all came back 0. just poured in Jacks blue stuff yesterday and hopeful that the green monster will go away. Only my toe head daughter is green. the rest of us (7) have blondish hair but it's not green...yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.