Pool at New Home Test Results

Jun 13, 2009
I am posting this for a friend who is closing a new home tomorrow with a 16 X 32 in ground pool. The pool has been covered for a year or more.
It has an aqua troll salt system installed. The pool is only three years old so hopefully everything is in good working order.
I ran a round of test with my TF-100 Kit this afternoon. (water is clear)

Chlorine 0
PH 6.8
Calcium 70
Alkalinity 30
CYA 0
Salt 1600
Copper 0

I can figure out what to do using the pool calculator, but with so many different adjustments is there a specific order?

Can he do everything at once?

I was thinking bleach and CYA first, salt next to get generator functioning, and then soda ash for PH.
Not too concerned with calcium right now (vinyl liner)

Let me know what you guys think.....

pH first. Because you can't read that during the shock process.
CYA (but only to 30) next because it takes a while to dissolve. And you'll need some during the process.
Then bleach.

Thus far, you've got an hour invested.

Continue with shock process until the three conditions are met. That could take a few days.

Then retest. Fine-tune pH and TA and add the rest of the CYA. Remember: you can always add more of something, but removing it is a pain.

You may have lost some salt from backwashing. Add that. Then start the SWG.

Richard320 said:
pH first. Because you can't read that during the shock process.
CYA (but only to 30) next because it takes a while to dissolve. And you'll need some during the process.
Then bleach.
Isn't shocking going to bring the pH up anyways? I was checking this thread: lowering-ph-before-shocking-t25346.html (so I thought shocking before adjusting that low pH would be okay). Is that too low of a starting point? :hammer:

That's Free Chlorine.

The sample of water he brought me was clear, but he did say there was some "algae" on the walls.
This certainly indicates that a shock is in order.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.