Pool cement paint

Are you looking at paint or concrete stain?

Two different beasts.

i have used epoxy concrete paint - specificaly garage floor paint. Aside from the crazy short pot time, and the difficulity with any clean up (just throw away the roller, brush, gloves, and possibly roller frame) it has held up great. No hot tire pick up (but I don't park in the garage too often, too many projects live in that space) and it sweeps clean. I do think it would be a bit too slick for wet areas though.

As for concrete stain, I have used that as well. Just spray it on and let set, then hose off. You can do some very interesting things with it (patterns, mixed colors, etc). Just be sure to hose it AWAY from the pool.

-dave

yellowbellied said:
The stains sell for about 50 bucks a gallon online. Quite pricey for a pool deck area

How big is your pool deck? This is stain, not paint. It is the consistency of water, and gets applied with a sprayer - like a normal pesticide sprayer.

Just looking at random on the web, brickform stains go for about $50 a gallon, and their spec sheets show coverage of between 400 to 600 SF per gallon.

A 35' by 15' square pool (just making up numbers here) with a 10' wide deck around it is only +/-1100 SF (adding that up in my head). Even at the low end of their coverage estimates, that is $150 for the stain

I did a small section of sidewalk - 3' wide by about 15' long and used nowhere near a quarter of the gallon I had. I could not tell you what brand I bought, it was whatever my local mason supply house had in stock.

EDIT: Now that I read the brickform spec sheet more, they say to brush theirs on, but again it is still the viscosity of water or so. The stuff I used you sprayed on. Still, the coverage stated by brickform is 400 - 600 SF per gallon.

-dave

I was looking at Olympic Patio tones deck coating for around $54.99 a gallon. It says it covers around 80 to 120 sq ft per gallon. My pool is 20 x 50 with about 5 feet front and back and 3 feet on the sides. Just wondering if it easy to apply or do the ones that sell at Home Depot work the same?

This article prerry much describes what I did

http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Proje ... o/View-All

My stain (whatever brand it was) was a water based stain that went into a standard pump sprayer.

First I cleaned the concrete with Muriatic Acid (steal some from the pool shed)

Then I rinsed the concrete well, and while it was wet, I sprayed on the stain. I wanted more of a "random" look, so instead of back brushing it, I just sprayed it on all sorts of "swirly" and let it dry

I sealed mine, beacuse I happend to be sealing the paver patio that was next to it at the time.

On a scale of 1 - 10, 1 being the easisest, I would rate it a 2. aside from having to be a bit careful with overspray it is really easy.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.