Another Dumb Question, Shocking After Swimming?

crokett

Jul 17, 2007
Hillsborough, NC
There are 3 guys at work who shock after more than 2 or 3 people swim. My opinion is test the FC levels, if they are ok then there is no need to shock. Pool school doesn't say anything about shocking except in reference to clearing up a swamp. So, should shocking after swimming and/or weekly shock be part of my routine?

I bet those 3 guys at work rely on trichlor pucks, and toss in a bag of "shock" every week, or every time there's some usage. That's the Pool Store way. Maintain your chemistry and you may never need to perform the shock process.

Give the pool a couple extra ppm before the party starts and a couple more after and it will be fine, assuming everything is balanced.

Richard320 said:
Maintain your chemistry and you may never need to perform the shock process.

Ok, that is what I was thinking, and pretty much what I do. I usually do the tests in the AM. I have the SWG running between 2 and 7 PM, that is when the solar heater is most effective so that is when the pump runs. I check chemistry in the AM and FC doesn't seem to drop much. This morning after all the swimming yesterday and me not adding any extra chlorine it was still at 4 PPM, so I thought that was pretty good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.