Glitch in the Pool Calculator!

HAHA-- Joke below.

So I need a target for the following.

100 Degree weather for over 5 days, and counting. Have not used any solar cover, nor heater (obviously) My pool is almost 90 degrees.
So with a 10,000 + gallon pool, how many bags of ICE do I need to add, to cool it off?

Hope you all are enjoying your crystal clear pools! :mrgreen:

:lovetfp:

maryj0w said:
HAHA-- Joke below.

So I need a target for the following.

100 Degree weather for over 5 days, and counting. Have not used any solar cover, nor heater (obviously) My pool is almost 90 degrees.
So with a 10,000 + gallon pool, how many bags of ICE do I need to add, to cool it off?

Hope you all are enjoying your crystal clear pools! :mrgreen:

:lovetfp:
Cooling off,,need you a fountain or sprayer do get that pool water in the air.It will cool off some then

As a rough estimate, the pounds of ice required would be (V/1000) * DCD * 43.75

Where :

V = Volume of Pool
DCD = Degrees Cooling Desired

So..for your 10,000 gallon pool to be cooled 5 degrees:

10 * 5 * 43.75 = 2187.5 lbs of ice.

Good luck with that :)

gboulton said:
As a rough estimate, the pounds of ice required would be (V/1000) * DCD * 43.75

Where :

V = Volume of Pool
DCD = Degrees Cooling Desired

So..for your 10,000 gallon pool to be cooled 5 degrees:

10 * 5 * 43.75 = 2187.5 lbs of ice.

Good luck with that :)
how many recirculated gallons of water 8 degrees below pool temp?!?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
maryj0w said:
You all are so much fun here. I think I will just take my daily swims at dusk, and look forward to the 80's they are predicting next week. But if anyone nearby wants to take a dip in a very large hot tub, feel free to stop by. :cheers:

Thanks for the invite, but I have my own down here in Mid TN :lol:

JasonLion said:
harleysilo said:
How'd ya figure that?!?
Convert both sides to degree*gallons and solve. Lowering 10,000 gallons by 5 degrees is 50,000 degree*gallons. 50,000 degree*gallons divided by 8 degrees is 6,250 gallons.

Okay. I've been trying to determine if my pool cooler sprays are working, or can work, and if so what is the best trade off, volume of water or amount that it gets chilled. I've collected the water from two different types of sprayes, one was cooling 3-4 degrees, one was cooling 8 degrees. It's difficult to collect the water as i would have to catch all the rain, but i think i could make something to do that without restricting flow.

I'm starting to wonder if the pool coolers /fountains/pvc with holes in them really do anything or not. My pool uncovered at night can loose 5-6 degrees on it's own. But will gain that right back the next day. The trick would be to catch it at say 92 and keep it from getting hotter with the sprays/fountain/cooler.

In the above example if your pool cooler cooled 10 gallons a minute you are looking at 10 hours of run time.
I don't think i'm any where near moving 10 gallons a minute with and 8 degree drop, and i doubt anything else is too. Guess i really need to get an idea of volume of water cooled.

If you run the entire output of your pump through the fountain you will be moving much more than 10 GPM. Pumps vary a great deal, but 40 GPM is a much more reasonable starting estimate.

The home made PVC fountains work, many people have made them and all report noticeable improvements.

Jason,

Each of those shows an IGP. How about doing one on an AGP?

The two hurdles i can think of right off are:

1) Would the weight of the PVC filled with water be too much, "prying" on the wall of the pool?

2) My own AGP...and I presume others...has a "non standard" fitting at the return..that is, it's not a standard plumbing fitting. So how to go about adapting it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.