pool frustrated

Jun 23, 2012
My filter is to small. All the dirt around the pool keeps getting in the pool. By the time i get 1/2 way around the pool the filter stops sucking. Ehen the electric for the pool was installed the electrian found major errors in our home from a remodel we did last year. So a 1,500 install has turned into a 11000 nightmare. So needless to say pool upgrades are out for this year. I am spending hours a day cleaning. Hubby is upset because he can't swim cause I'm shocking the pool. Any suggestions to help my pool filter beter untill i csn upgrade it next year? If i lower the shock level so je can swim and do a longer slower shock?

If you are "plugging" the sand filter with debris from the pool while vacuuming, this simply means the filter is doing it's job. This is a "good" problem to have if your goal is to get the debris out of the pool.

If you have a lot of debris, it's going to require you backwash the filter each time the filter pressures rise 25% or more or the water flow is low. If you are actively vacuuming and loose suction power, it means you need to take a break from vacuuming and do a backwash and then go back to vacuuming.

Another option, if you have a place for the water and your fill water is of good enough quality, you can vacuum directly to waste and skip the filtering process. Your filter won't plug up but you are going to need to replace the water removed during the vacuum process. I say your replacement water is of good quality as there are many here where water sources are poor or very expensive.

Could you post a complete set of water test results? Also, why are you shocking? A little dirt getting in the pool isn't a reason to shock, so I presume something else is also going on at the same time?

Result from last night. Before i started.
fc 1it was 4.5 in the am before heavy swimming all day
:wink: Cc .5
Ta 90
Ph 7.2
Cya 30

My water is slighty cloudy and i loose on avearage 1.5 of fc overnight. So it was suggested. I needed to shock it.
Edited to add at 11 pm last night i raised it fc to 12 at 7:30am it was 10.5. I have maintained the fc of 12 all day today.

Thanks all. Just a little frustated today from the heat. I am thinking of buying a vacuum that is not dependant on thepump and filter. Something like the catfish or pool blaster max. and maybe adding some de to the filter. Does anyone have any expleriance with those? Good Bad?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.