Fifth of July Haze

Well, a hazy update. Pool is the same dull appearance. I added two skimmer socks to trap any fine particles my filter may be missing. I think I am going to start the shock process tonight. I don't know what else it could be. My FC has been well over 6ppm per day since I got it clear in the spring. My borates are around 30ppm, adding some degree of protection. Can there be an algae growing that is small enough to not show a CC reading or drop the FC overnight. If so how did it grow in a pool with FC over 6ppm, and not be completely eliminated by bring my FC up to 16 each night? There were alot of people in there on Wednesday could something been on their suits? I know three people were here and they have a pool of their own but use Baquacil, could that cause the haze? Any insight is welcome, even if it is to shut up and wait!

I am surprised that you haven't really noticed any improvement yet, sorry! :( How are your skimmer socks looking?

I know that clarifiers aren't really recommended here in most cases, but in a desperate moment last week, I used one (followed the instructions explicitly, as it said that overdosing would have the opposite effect). Within an hour, my skimmer socks were gunked up and had to be rinsed frequently and my pool got it's sparkle back by the next morning. I think my success was because I paid attention to the directions and used the amount recommended (which in my case was less than 3 ounces for my 17,500 gallon pool) instead of thinking more would be better. Having said that, I am well aware that MANY people here have not had success with clarifiers, perhaps I was just lucky.

I have in the past turned a swamp into a sparkling oasis upon opening without the aid of anything but bleach... but that does require a lot of time and Pool-Owner-Patience. I'm not so sure how much I'd have if it was in the middle of the season... oh, wait... apparently not much at all since I went ahead and used the clarifier. :D

Yes the CYA is still in that area may have creaped up closer to 50 by my eyes. The bottom is completely visible. Its just not perfect! My wife can't see the haze but I know its been better. I think I am a little crazy but I know what crystal clear should look like. That is why it so frustrating. Its Soooo close but not perfect and not improving.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your filter is really small for your pool...add on top of that the high swimmer load and the may be much of this. In addition, that is high pressure but I see you have pump that is likely too big for your filter and could be channeling your sand. Could you post the model of the pump and filter? Also, what size plumbing do you have?

That pump is a bit too much for that filter. It may work but it could also channel the flow I think. In this case it is good you have 1.5 inch suction side piping since, that may keep the flow rate down enough. If you need to replace something in the future, go with a bigger filter and/or a smaller (preferably 2-speed) pump.

Yeah, I know now that I should probably have a 600# sandfilter with a two speed pump. I was uninformed when I bought the pool package.
I checked the chemicals tonight and noticed everything was normal, I only dropped 2ppm FC during the day, which is good for my pool, it usually loses 2.5-3ppm on a sunny day. I had a small amount of CC used half a drop to clear the pink. I decided to rais the CL up to shock level. I added enough to get to 20.5 +/-. The other readings were fine. CYA close to 50, PH 7.5, TA 140, CH 110, I posted those two in reverse on a previous post Sorry!)Borates 30. I think my filter and pump are the prob;lem when it comes to cleaning the fine particle out of the pool. But I will see tomorrow if something else is in there.

Well the OCLT was fine. My FC was 20
40 drops. the CC was slight pink 0.25ppm, 1/2 drop cleared it up.
Filter pressure was up,backwashed and cleaned skimmer socks. they were a little dirty with fine particles
the bugs and leaves were there too. I guess keep filtering?

Yes, it has improved a little bit since yesterday. The filter is very slow and undersized. I am wondering if i should let the CL come down or keep it up around 20? I don't think it is algae. I don't think algae could have started growing in a pool with a 8popm FC before the bather load, but I could be wrong. I saw some sand colored dirt (thinking worst case-mustard algae or something)on the botom yesterday I dove in to inspect and it was gritty, not slimy and didn't disappear when i touched it. No more pool parties if my pool can't handle it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.