Can I start my converstion with TA of 170

edward.foote

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
I'm ready to roll (day off, etc), got the bleach, read the conversion, etc. Did my chemical test this morning with the K-2006.

FC - neg
TC - neg
pH - 7.8
TA - 170 ppm
CH - neg
CA - neg
"B" - < 9 (reading from pool store couple days ago).

My question is, can I start with the pH somewhat high and the TA high? a I had a low pH and alkalinity this past weekend and added alkalinity and pH up. I guess I over-did it. I really want to get moving today and don't want to wait a few hours to get to the pool store, etc.

Thanks!

When I converted at the start of the season, my TA was 210. It didn't seem to cause a problem. When the conversion was done and I was done shocking, I brought the TA down gradually with muratic acid followed by aeration by pointing my return jets up toward the surface of the water. I hope it goes well--it was the best move I ever made with my pool!

The high TA is not a concern, however you should lower the pH to around 7.2 first. The high chlorine levels will raise the pH until the FC drops below 10 ppm. You could go ahead and start the conversion process and lower the pH using the 7.8 as your starting level before the next chlorine addition. You should make sure to lower the pH today.

Re: Can I start my converstion with TA of 170 - updated and

(Sorry, took pics on my phone but having trouble... will work on it).

9 AM - Start. Added 290 oz of 6% bleach. Turned bluish green.
10 AM. FC 1.6 ppm. Added 280 oz bleach
10:40 AM FC 1.8 Added 280 oz bleach
11:45 FC 1.8 Added 270 oz bleach. Also added 1 lb of pH Down (sodium bisulfate). (remember that pH of 7.8) Color pretty much same.
12:45 FC = 2 Combined Chlorine=5.5 pH=7.0 TA=170

I'm a bit confused. The pH went WAY down and the TA stayed the same. It is hot and sunny today.
PLUS. I just realized that there will be some major street work (digging, etc) in my neigborhood for weeks. I think they will be on my street by Monday. Now I'm stressing about backwashing and getting this all done. Plus everyone in my house is ticked at me for converting on such a string of hot days.

Ug. I would appreciate any suggestions...

Re: Can I start my converstion with TA of 170 (Conversion Up

edward.foote said:
... not sure why I didn't wait till the END of the swim season.

I assume it because you had an even worse time keeping your pool clean and clear with B? :cool:

Good luck and lets hope you can get converted quickly. Good work on getting your FC steady and at the correct levels.

Here is my progress so far.... After each FC measurement I used the calculator to get back up to FC 15. Sorry, still don't have pics but it is a pretty bluish green.
2:15 pm FC 4.8
3:15 pm FC 5.0
4:15 pm FC 6.0
5:45 pm FC 10.5

I'll check again in an hour or two. I'm wondering if the FC loss during the day was more due to sun than to binding "B"? Also, I'm still wondering (worrying about the pH of 7 and the TA 170).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.